I am always amazed...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Mar 1, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    at just how "perfectly goaty" baby goats are :love:

Yes, I have kids born each year and yes, maybe I'm just goofy but it still totally amazes me at just how adaptable these helpless kids are.
    Bailey's baby at just 2 days old was mouthing hay right next to his mom, even though he can't eat it yet, he knew it went in his mouth.
    The jerky unco-ordinated movements from just hours after birth are now steadier and quicker at 3 days old.

I have to say that I feel very priviledged to be witness to the amazing things that baby goats do. Even when the little boys start sounding like Porky Pig at just days old.

Maybe it's just one of those sappy moments for me, but I feel truly blessed when a new kid arrives here. :love:

2. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I totally know what your talking about!! :hi5: I was soo amazed when I saw my first kids doing things like they were a old pro....lol...it is ssoooo cute!! :love:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the hours old kids were walking around like pros and throwing fits because I was putting a sweater on them at my friends house -- they certainly have personalities even that young

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz.....I know exactly what you mean even though I don't experience actual births here, I so enjoy seeing everyone elses and this year has just been great watching barn cams......those little babies are truly amazing at how quickly they adapt to their new world!

I'm sappy to, I get teary eyed every time I watch a birth via someones camera......hubby gets a big laugh out of me!

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Baby happenings are always so precious, their instincts are strong, and watching and copying momma make for some great moments. :love:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Me too! I used to cry when babies were born - I don't know when that stopped, took about 20 kiddings before I didn't cry. :) They were happy tears!

7. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Liz I know to what your talking about, they are so cute and learn so fast. Mine are now two weeks old and they are already eating hay, grain and sometimes act like they are going to drink water. The little boy learn to jump up on this play think my husband built inside the pen and he looked around like he was amazed. But now he does it like a pro. lol

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is something how fast they grow too....at even 2 days old they look twice the size they were when born!
    Bailey's baby has such long dairy looking legs even though his daddy is a pygmy! This little guy looks like an awkward colt when he takes off running. So cute to see! And I found out he has his molars cause he bit me...and he's been making himself busy with his mom's hay!

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    What a great thread! I could not agree more... it is magical... and we are all so blessed to be able to witness it.

A reporter just came over to my farm to shoot some photos for some stories I'm writing about backyard livestock. Her jaw dropped when she saw my 1.5 week old Middy RACING at top speed across the length of the field! And then Middy went into a series of those great little twists and leaps with her brother Emilio. It was too cute, it was like they knew they had a fan club!

It is also so amazing that when they're born their first instinct is... do these legs work... and then... I need something to put in my mouth. (It's extra cute when they try sucking on mom's chin. Wrong end guys!)

Ah goats. Thanks for starting this thread, it really made me smile :clap: