The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this buckling on Craigslist and even though I was wanting doelings, not bucklings, I think he would be a good addition. I have 2 bucks, a Nigerian Dwarf and a Pygmy and my family and I were going to start breeding to sell the kids and to have milk for us and to sell as well. I think it would be good to have a 3rd breed of buck so we can have a variety. Plus, I love Nubians and he is one of the most handsome goats I have every seen (except for my currents bucks of course :wink:).
I emailed the person who has him asking for more info and also asking if they could hold him for me while my one buck, Sully, recovers. I said if not, that I would try and find a way to separate them.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Look at his front knees... Something looks very off there. I love his coloring as a baby but I don't like his coloring as much now. I know it is still flashy but I would have been so disappointed if I was the breeder to have that beautiful orange and black only for it to turn to black and white... I will have to remember how much they can change when mine start kidding.
I think he is cute, especially in the face, love how his ears curl up on the ends. I just would be wary because his front legs don't look right to me.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,911 Posts
He is definitely cute and has that catchy moonspotted look. I do agree with the others above me. Even if you are simply looking for a buck to breed and have kids, this young prospect would worry me in terms of eligibility for performance and functionality. Bucks need to be relatively free in movement as a priority, and his legs do appear to be unsuitable for that. I can't deny that he does look like a sweetheart, but his structure concerns me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I found this buckling on Craigslist and even though I was wanting doelings, not bucklings, I think he would be a good addition. I have 2 bucks, a Nigerian Dwarf and a Pygmy and my family and I were going to start breeding to sell the kids and to have milk for us and to sell as well. I think it would be good to have a 3rd breed of buck so we can have a variety. Plus, I love Nubians and he is one of the most handsome goats I have every seen (except for my currents bucks of course :wink:). I emailed the person who has him asking for more info and also asking if they could hold him for me while my one buck, Sully, recovers. I said if not, that I would try and find a way to separate them.
He is a good looking buckling. I have one similar, he is 6 months old. How old is yours? Can you tell me how to post pictures on here? I am new with goats.... Have only had mine since August. Started out with 30 we had 6 die on us the first week we had them. The vet did a necropsy on one and we still don't know why they died. They came from Colorado into the hot Texas heat could of been the reason. It was 102 the day they arrived. The owner brought them to me so that is why we got so many I now have 3 bucks and 24 does 2 of the bucks are buckling and 3 are 6 month old doelings. The rest are yearlings and a few 2 yr olds. I am planning on selling some as we have too many. My goats are mini- Nubians. So I plan on milking them and learning to make cheese, lotion, soap and whatever else I can find to make with goat milk. I am feeding mine costal hay, and they forge on the property eating oak, cedar and other trees. I also give them some grain but not every day.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Very cute! I would be a bit careful, though, he is GORGEOUS but I don't like those knees, they shouldn't be doing that when he is so young. If his mother's udder is stunning, I may overlook it, but if not I'd look at another more correct buckling, personally. But if you do go for him, he is sure to add some color to your herd. :)

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Those knees are scary IMO. Gorgeous buckling for sure though.
Walk away , look for more that catch you eye. You definitely don't want to bring home anything that is going to cause more heartache in the end. You did want does , so maybe just keep your heart set on finding Sully a nice girl ;)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
I agree with the above, there's just something weird looking about his knees. he is super cute and really really flashy though.

I think you also need to consider what you want with your herd. what kind of does you will be getting to breed with your bucks. if you're sticking to the minis, then having a full sized buck may not be a great idea (you don't really want to breed standard buck to mini doe).

sorry to be a bit of a Debbie-downer.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the advice. Even tho I wanted him really badly I took into consideration the comments I received and opted not to get him. $175 for a goat with bad knees doesn't seem right. I don't know how much the average goat costs, but my one buck was $60 and the other was $40.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
It really kinda depends on the price, on registration or no registration, bloodlines, color, and so on... but in our area (I am in Arkansas also) I think you could do a lot better for $175. You might not get that flashy color for that price but you should be able to get a good solidly built Nubian Buckling for $175 that is registered and healthy. Especially if you aren't in a hurry. Come spring people will be willing to sell their bucklings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts