I am getting worried, should I be?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nupine, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I am starting to get worried. I have a March 2008 doe, Heidi, who has been really unthrifty all her life. She is healthy [other than her recovering sore mouth from the fair] , but has not grown very well. She will be 2 in March and only weighs maybe 70-75 pounds. I decided to breed her a couple of months ago, and if she took, she will be due Feb. 18. [most likely, but possibly as early as the 12th] I am just worried that she won't be ok. She is a little larger than a large nigi. I am not sure why, she only had 9 hours of colostrum when she was bron, and was then switched to regular milk. She was also fed on store bought whole milk, could that be why? And, should I really be worried about her kidding?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she had plenty of colostrum -- that shouldnt be her issue.

are you sure she is purebred? does she come from slow maturing lines? I am sure she will be fine, treat her like any other pregnant goat :thumb:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sure she'll do fine, as Stacey said, treat her as you would any of your other preggy girls, she may surprise you with a growth spurt before she delivers.

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    She is registered, American. Her sire is a VERY large buck, and her dam [my doe] is maybe 115-120 pounds, but is a little on the short and stubby side.

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Goats are like people ... some short, some tall she should do fine so do not worry needlessly.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She may just be small, but I would do a fecal to rule out worms or cocci. :)

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Ok, it is about time for another fecal, but she has been dewormed many times. I guess I shouldn't worry. I heard a horror story about a goat being bred when she was small. But that was a 2 month old pygmy bred to a boer buck, and she died a couple days after kidding, and all the kids [2] died during birth.