I am loving all I am learning here! Pooch tests...sniff

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Saanens N Alpines, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    tests...who knew....lol!

I've had goats and goat friends for 10 years and never heard of either of those.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I actually just learned of the pooch test a few years ago...now sniffing polls was something I never did or knew about til last year, it really works too!

3. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Can't wait to try them both!

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Okay....you got me now.....what is sniffing polls?????? I am still trying to figure out the pooch test.......

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once your girls are into the last part of pregnancy, sniff their heads.... no seriously, right between their ears, if they smell like they normally do, they'll have does...if they have a bucky odor, you'll likely see bucks. It does work! We tried it out and posted our findings here....

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12068

6. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I did the poll thing last year and I guessed right for all my does, after sniffing them out. I made the guess that my one doe would have :kidblue: (she did) another :kidblue: :kidred: (she did) another one :kidred: :kidred: with a possibable third :kidred: (She had 3 :kidred:) and my other one :kidred: :kidred: :kidblack: she had :kidred: :kidred:

The doe with a single :kidblue: smelled like a buck and the one with twin doe/buck only a slightly buck smell. The rest smelled normal and it was a doe year for me:)

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Wow! that's one of the most amazing things I've ever heard of... the sniff test! I'm going to try it too...I wonder if you can "scratch and sniff" my girl would love that.
    Thanks

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks liz. This sounds interesting, but how late in the pregnacy?? Like a month or a week???? First thing I have to do is see what their normal smell is.....they still need lots of taming. I have gotten to where I can sneak in a scatch when they are eating their grain but they really don't like you to touch them. I have made some progress though in the last couple weeks that I've had them....

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My girls totally enjoy ear scratches and they usually have a very fresh earthy scent to their heads...your general just "outside" smell, into their 4th month is when I could really tell a difference in how they smelled, Bailey was the one that changed from week to week...she went from having no buck odor to full blown strong 2 weeks before she had her boy.