I am milking now

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by trob1, Nov 6, 2008.

1. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I purchesed 4 does in milk and a few were kinda thin and not easy to handle so I decided to dry them off. Well I was able to dry off 3 of the 4 does I purchased. The one just didnt want to dry off so I had a friend come out and show me how to milk and we are doing really well now. She is a first freshner Nigerian dwarf and is giving me 10 oz twice a day for a grand total of 20oz every day. She is a joy to milk and really easy. I really love milking and that suprizes me. This girl comes from strong milk lines and got her way and is now my milker. Woo hoo!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh how cool! yah milking the minis is a different nack you have to learn. It took me a little while to get a rythm down.

have any girls bred yet? My first one should be bred around the 20th :greengrin:

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have 3 does due in 3 weeks, 3 due end of Feb and 3 in March. I wanted to spread them out alittle this year.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh wow thats early. I am trying to plan my breedings around shows this year and around when I am going to be away on vacation since I happen to know way in advance when we will be away it will be much easier for planning

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah - I like to milk also! I too TRIED (being the key word) to space my does out for 09 - but didn't work as well as I would have liked - but that is ok.

Good Luck with milking and we would LOVE to see pics of the new ones!

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yep last year was bad so I was really dead set on spacing them out some. I will post pictures of the girls soon, I wanted to get some groceries in them first. LOL

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    last year with 6 does kidding I didnt space them out and I had kiddings once a week sometimes even twice a week! I was happy when it was all over.

So this year I will only have 3 does kidding and will probably have them semi close to gether but it all depends on when they go into heat and if I Can get them to the buck

8. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats Guest

Sep 10, 2008
    A FF milking 20 oz a day after a stressful move is awesome! Most goats drop production a lot after a move.
    I believe her next freshening will be REALLY good. What is her lineage, if you don't mind me asking? :)

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Her name is Olson Acres Whispering Storm and her sire is MCH Pride of Texas Frankie Mc and her dam is Irish Whisper Jolie

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great to hear you are enjoying the milking experience Theresa!! It is truly the most enjoyable part of my day....even when I had 3 does fresh! It is a very relaxing way to give those girls the one on one that they enjoy.