I AM NEW

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ange, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ange

ange New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I AM from upstate new york, finger lakes. I am thinking about having two goats and am wondering all about them, and hoping here can give me info and in sight. WE live in outside city limits, on l acre, in suburbia. We have chickens for eggs. I am looking, maybe into goats for the goat milk, and a small size, phygme maybe. WOuld appreciate help, rasing, where to house them, what to keepm them away from, what to feed them , etc

2. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I am new too!! I just got 2 nigerian dwarf does... they are both registered with ADGA and I live on a large city lot in Everett, WA. One of them is a yearling and is bred.. while the other is 6 months old. So the older will kid at the end of Feb. and then I plan to milk her about 2 or 3 weeks after kidding. My plan is separating the mom from kids during the night and then milking in the a.m. and leaving them together again for the day.. until weaned. I also have 4 hens for eggs... in fact I have an old chicken coop for my goats .. but they seem to prefer sleeping in the covered area where I have the food. You will love this forum.. and get plenty of goat wisdom. Just keep reading! Good luck
    Heidi

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

glad you joined us.

Pygmy goats arent usually used for milk but you can get a small amount of milk from them. Does taste just as good (if not better) and its very high in butterfat so its very rich and creamy - yum

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome....from northern California ....so happy you are here with us..... :thumb: :wave:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to the group!!!

6. Hermitgirl

Hermitgirl New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I, too, am new new new and from Canada. I got my first goats a month ago and I've been in hell ever since battling what I though was mites but now believe to be ringworm. It was a heck of an introduction to goats, but everyone here has been so helpful and kind - don't know what I'd have done without this forum.

I hope that once I have to spend less time with the anti-fungal sprays I'll have more time to take advantage of this most excellent place. Thanks everyone who makes it happen! I'm looking forward to finding my way around more than the vet care sections!
    posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=17434#

7. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Well hello all :)
    Carlene Wheeler of God's Love Farm Nigerians in Sullivan, N.H. here
    I am new to this wonderful site and looking forward to connecting with everyone.
    We only have a couple of nice bucks for sale right now, no does but will have
    a whole lot of most everything in the spring. I tend to stay reasonably small
    (thanks to some wonderful friends who just purchased some goats from me ~
    you know who you are :))
    Here is my website http://lamiae.meccahosting.com/~a000529d/gpage.html
    I tried to upload a picture of God's Love Farm H Hope and I guess it was too big
    so it didn't work :help:

Blessings to all
    carlene

p.s. I did have a question for those in the "know". how do I find out "details" about the
    Nationals in Springfield, Ma ? I know three things so far LOL #1. the dates #2. that you cannot
    go home and leave your herd unattended #3. No nursing babies allowed... So how do we find out all the other details? I am praying that there will be a miracle and I can show a couple of my best
    girls and maybe a buck?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well Carlene you know more then I do about the ADGA Nationals next year

best to contact ADGA and ask them -- where did you learn what you did already where did they hear it from?

9. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    hi Stacey: I think I heard it from a goat breeder in Maine. I thought I could not even think of going because I don't have any help, but with a lot of planning, I just might be able to go...wouldn't that be awesome? So anything I find out, I will be very glad to share.
    Blessings
    calrene

10. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

welcome Ange! I vote for Nigerian Dwarf goats--they are small come in an array of colors/patterns & can even have blue eyes. They have wonderful personalities & can produce around 2+ quarts of sweet creamy milk! They are pretty easy to maintain & easy enough that even a 3 year old child can handle them.
    You will find tons of info on this website!

11. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    I am trying to put a picture up ...hmmm[attachment=0:tyojv2cm]hope.jpg[/attachment:tyojv2cm]

let's see if this works ?? :applaud: :grouphug: :laugh:

Attached Files:

• hope.jpg
      hope.jpg
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi Ange,

Welcome to the group! :wave: I'd recommend that you check out the Goat 101 section of the forum and if you have any questions about the info you read there we'd all be happy to help. :)