I am not sure/ starting to worry

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by tomie, Mar 17, 2011.

1. jglfainters

jglfainters New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Nevada
    ha ha, add me to the list. I just got off work and came home and the first thing I did was pop on the computer to check this thread :)

2. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Yay 3 babies finally. The first two were born before I got out here. I saw a bag hanging and thought it was her after birth. By the grace of god I see the face in the bag. Both legs were behind her. It looked like the baby was almost dead and I know it was stuck for a few minutes. I know I did this wrong but I was in panic so I broke the sack and made it start breathing and then I helped pull her out. I know that it was uncomfortable but I could not let it die. She had 2 does and a buck. I will post pics in a little bit. They seem to be doing Ok. They are not up walking yet but it has not been very long. I am sitting in the barn with them now. I gave them some Nutri drench and I will be with them until I know everything is ok. You should have seen me shaking and praying. I was so nervous and excited. Thanks everyone for your help. No more babies this year...

3. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    How long after she kids will she have her after birth?

4. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Rosie is having problems standing up. I know that she just had 3 babies but now I am really worried. She tried to stand up wut was real wobbly. Is this ok ? or what can I do?

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    hey you didn't do wrong, you helped the baby live and I'm sure you didn't do any damage! I've often had to do that with a goat or a sheep, and you did the right thing!

Do you have any molasses that you could dilute in warm water to give her to drink? That would give her some energy, maybe some nutridrench too?

LW

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww finally congrats.. :hi5: :hug: :clap:
    Sometimes breaking the bag while they are still in there gives you something to pull on...it is hard sometimes to pull through the bag that is OK..... I am proud of you...see you did it.... :leap:
    That is exactly how you think during delivery... great job... :thumb:

Get the plugs out from the teat orifice's from mom...milk some colostrum into say a 12 cc syringe.. no needle and feed it to the babies ..give each kid at least a couple of 12cc's each...to insure they have colostrum.... and try to get them to to nurse off mom... Also dip their cords in Iodine...

Within 12 hours...some take longer...but some also just drop it a few hours later...

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/milkfever.htm
    May be milk fever...give her
    Calcium Gluconate 23% Solution: 8 to 12 oz. given orally. Repeat 5-8 oz, three times a day until the doe is eating and symptoms are subsiding.

If she is lying on her side, prop her up with a bale of hay so she is laying in a normal position. This prevents rumen fluid from entering her lungs and prevents bloat from developing...

Also as mentioned give molasses water....to mom...

How is she now... is she still down and what time did she deliver them?

I am so proud of you... :cool: :leap: :clap: :hi5:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you did the right thing by helping the baby out --- once delivery starts the imibilical cords separate adn then the kids have to start breathing on their own. If they dont within a few minutes they die.

As to mom -- give her molasses water and some calcium drench.

Are the kids up and nursing yet? If not you will need to milk mom as Pam said adn give them a couple ounces. 30cc is 1 ounce

if they have a sucking reflex try giving it to them in a bottle

8. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Well Rosie is up. She is wobbly but she is up. The kids are nursing but they are havig a hard time finding it. I am worried rosie is going to step on one or fall on them. I m scared to leave her.

9. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Congrats on the babies and that you were there to help!

Do as others have said and give her some time. I know I didn't want to get up and jump around after giving birth to one! Keep an eye on her and the babies. Do you have bottles just in case you have to bottle feed one or two?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you give her Calcium Gluconate and some molasses water?
    That will help....

Glad the kids are nursing.. just keep working wit the kids ...showing them where it is... they will catch on...go out every couple of hours....to do this..sounds like.. they are healthy... :wink:

I know how you feel even if momma's are strong can lay on or step on the babies..... :(

Glad she is up.... :hi5:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad the kids are getting the hang of it -- as to mom, just keep checking in on them. Make sure there is plenty of water available to her and hay. Mine dont eat much the first two days after kidding. But thats because they stuff themselves the day before so they just lay around ruminating and fussing over their babies.

12. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Finally!!! I just came in from disbudding kids and had to check! I'm praying Rosie recovers and they will all be fine! Congrats on the 3 babies. What breed is Rosie?

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    :stars: :leap: :clap: :cool: She had them!!! And you did such a wonderful job saving the last baby and mom! :applaud: Three kids, congratulations! I will be :pray: for mom and kids and glad to hear Rosie is up on her feet now.

14. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Rosie is a Nubian. The buck she was bred to was a Nubian also. They are gorgeous. The babies are sleeping so I thought I would take a break from babysitting. lol They are gorgeous. The buck is the smallest. He is really tiny. He is all black with a white spot on his side. One female is black and one female is a chocolate color. I am in love...

15. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    I do not have any of the calcium stuff but I am going as soon as my husband gets off work to get some. We are going to worm her and trim her hooves. We did not want to do it when we did the others because we were worried about stressing her while she was pregnant. I want to get her taken care of.

The only thing that I do not like about a doe kidding is that they look anerexic.

16. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    I did give Rosie some Nutri Drench so hopefully that will help some until I get to tractor supply

17. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    If you have some tums, you can give her several of those until you can get to tractor supply for the calcium this evening. Just my opinion, but if she is still weak I would probably hold off on worming her and messing with her feet until she feels stronger. So glad all is well, and trips from a nubian, wow!!! :hug:

18. Ducklady

Ducklady New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Great job! I'm so happy for you, hopefully Rosie will be back to her old self soon. I can't wait to see pictures.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree stressing her while she is kinda down isn't good right now wait until she is stronger... :wink:

Yes ..you can give her tums in the meantime...

Make sure... the kid gets colostrum.... and gets a full feeling tummy.... she should start filling in as she learns to nurse well... but in the meantime ..watch them and make sure ..they are getting enough...

20. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Ugh I am just so worried. I went into the barn and Rosie was laying on one of the babies. It is ok and it got up walking around. The babies are nursing but they are continuously acting hungry. I can get milk out of one teat but I cannot seem to get it out of the other. I do not know what to do. She is laying down resting and the babies are screaming like they are starving. Is this normal. These babies are really tiny. I say that the smallest one only weighs 2 or 3 pounds.