I am not sure/ starting to worry

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by tomie, Mar 17, 2011.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my....she was laying on one...poor kid...glad you caught it on time.... :hug:

Her teat may still be plugged by the the waxy stuff...work at it and get the stream flowing.......

Does her udder feel hot?

When you milk her does her milk look normal...?

2. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    I have never had kids screaming like that.. I would have some milk replacer and nipples on hand. I have also not had a mom lie around so the babies don't get to nurse. It doesn't sound normal to me. If you can't keep her up long enough to let babies nurse or to get some milk out yourself to feed them maybe you should call a vet?

3. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Her udder is so hard she will not let me touch it and now she is not wanting to feed the babies.

4. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    We have an alpine that had a similar problem with a hard udder,,,we milked her out, saved the colostrum, and then the babies were able to suck ok.....everyone is fine now....and have some extra colostrum...just in case........good luck

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She sounds to be really tight...did you try getting any milk out or give up quickly?
    you are going to have to try to milk her out a bit to relieve the pressure...whether she likes it or not......tie up her back leg ..the one you are going to work from to milk her.... or.. have someone hold her back leg...

Also ...though... if you can't get anything out....she may have a congested udder or mastitis...
    Tell me what is happening... is her udder hot to the touch or lumpy... can you get anything out at all? If so... what does it look like?
    I have to ask but... do you know how to milk a goat? :hug:

6. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Poor girl needs milked. I have a doe that we had a time with one year because she filled up so much on one side every day because the kids were drinking from one side. We had to milk her down so they could nurse and it was really hard to get her started. My hands would ache so badly. You need to get her milked down and feed it to the babies if she won't let them nurse. She is probably filling up so much because she is lying down and they can't drink. She must have something wrong that keeps her lying down too much.

7. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Ok I am sorry I have had a time. The babies all made it through the night and seem to be doing ok. That is an answer to a prayer. Rosie is still giving me a hard time. Her udder is really tight. It seems to be a little warm. It feels a little lumpy like there are soft balls in there. I used a hot wash cloth and massaged and massaged and I got her to let the babies eat last night but the one side I still cannot get anything out of and I have worked with it for hours. If the babies try to eat she kicks them. I was so worried about the delievery I never thought about a problem like this. I figure that after all my kids leave I can go back out there and try again. I do not know what to do. If anyone has any ideas just let me know I am willing to try anything. I am worried something is going to happen to the babies because they are going so long without eating.

8. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Get some milk replacer, a pop bottle and some goat/sheep nipples and bottle feed the kids. Call a vet for the mom if you can't get the milk out of her udder. The babies will die if they don't get enough to eat, so you have to feed them. If they go to long without eating enough they will get too weak to suck.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... you will have to supplement feed them... if they aren't getting enough...

That is good you did that... if you still can't get anything out....
    It is critical to do so .....I agree.. to have a vet take a look..... :hug: :(

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    We haven't heard from yo in awhile. How are things going?

11. kikocross

kikocross New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    greer sc
    been watching this and glad babys r do good so for,,if bag is real hard and lumpy may need to give her some (today)..thats the name of it..one tube per side and a shot of bio-mycin..for a couple days in a row,keep kids away for bout 3 hrs so they dont suck it back out,u may need some help,she want like having something stuck up her teat,had same prob,kids act like the were starving,

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am concerned as well.... :hug:

13. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Every day I wonder how they are all doing! Hope you can update us soon!