I am ready for fall!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Aug 10, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Anyone with me? I am sooooo sick of this heat! I usually always love summer, but I think spring and fall are my favorite seasons.
    We don't get as hot as some places, but it was sure miserable here with a high of 95 and heat index well over 100.
    One of my does got extremely hot this evening, poor girl. She went and laid under our back deck in the cooler dirt, and spent a good 10 minutes hovering around the water bucket.
    Out of all our goats, the heat gets to her the most.

We have been really dry too, in fact the creek that runs through our property is completely dry! We got just enough rain to 'maybe' revive the grass and my flowers...

Sure makes all the rain we had in May and June seem like a hoax!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cooler weather would be a welcome reprieve but I am definately not ready for Fall just yet, my work schedule prevents me from truly enjoying the summer and it goes by way too fast for me to even think of taking a few days off.

We're not too awfully dry, the humidity has definately made the mornings very foggy and the grass very wet so nothing has been without some water...though my plants in the flower boxes could definately use a good soaking!

3. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I don't know...we really haven't had much of a summer here this year. Lots of rain and cool weather. I want some hot days before it goes completely cold!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I love summer but right now I am cursing the sun because I have terrible sunburn! (and yes I applied sunscreen 2twice!)

no i am not ready for fall eventhough its been in the 90's all summer and HUMID up the wazoo

Fall means winter is around the corner and after last winter I am SO NOT ready for winter to come again! We had an awful winter so not like our area so I worry we will get it again or worse. :(

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    HoosierShadow...I was thinking the same thing yesterday...I can't stand this weather...it makes me so unmotivated to do anything...I can't wait to move to Alaska...I wanna go skiing...I think I'm delirious...LOL!

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Itchysmom --- I'll send you as much dry & heat as ya want....I don't mind sharing LOL :)

It's going to be another miserable day here :( It's 10am and the temp is 82 with 75% humidity, so it feels like 90.

Winter here wasn't totally awful last year, we had more snow than we typically have, but it never stays around for very long. It typically doesn't get extremely cold here until January. Decemeber can be a mix of a month.
    Of course the only thing not to look forward to is everything dying - no more browse for the goats!

7. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I agree im so ready for fall. I usually like summer but my husband works out on the roads and this summer has been awful. Today it is almost 1:00pm and its already 93 and the heat index is 107. Its awful here and I feel so bad for my husband. We are under a excessive heat advisory for today. I will be glad for cooler weather. Just dont like winter so I hope we have a long fall and short winter.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I feel bad for those who work outside in this weather :( My husband will start working again in a few days or on Monday and he'll be outside working too - with horses and it can be very hot and tiring.
    We got up to 94 degrees today, and it's 92 right now with heat index of 100. Some rain/storms are forming around us, but so far it's still dry here.... FIGURES. Some rain sure would be nice!

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, fall/winter can come on over. ;) LOL helps that I have some does bred for december kids... hopefully. :D

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ashley if the weather is better up your way again I will just skip town and go visit you again :p

11. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Its been hot down here in the deep south for several months now. It is just something we have to live with. The hardest thing for me to get used to is the clothes sticking to my skin and the sweat dripping off my nose...thats just from stepping outside.

But the winter isn't too bad at all...shoot we plant potatoes and onions in February...tomatoes in april.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm jealous! I'd love to be able to plant that early in the year! I am in Central Kentucky, and it's really not safe to plant things before May 1st otherwise you risk a late frost, and have to go out and cover everything up.

13. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    I have been tillilng my garden up for a fall planting (something I have never tried). I am thinking about iceberg lettuce, some cole crops, carrots, and green peas. My "english" peas burnt up this year cause it got hot early. Everything else did real well...I had the best watermellon I have ever had.

The paper said we set a record for the heat down here this year. It has been in the upper nineties and above... every day for thirty-eight straight days. If it ever gets down into the fifties we will freeze to death. :ROFL:

14. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    We just broke a record ( according to the local paper). The hottest summer ever. Thirty eight days in a row above 95 degrees. It sho is hot down here. I don't even pay attention to the temps. Its just hot and muggy. I am tilling my garden for a fall planting. I am thinking about potatoes, carrotts,peas, collards, lettuce, and some cabbage and broccoli.

I am also going to plant some forage for my goats...its supposed to stay green all winter...we will see...