I am so sad!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, May 26, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think I am going to have to sell Jasper! I love him to death but he HATES when I am giving any of the others attention and he WILL NOT stop butting them even when I am petting them.

This means any kids or Gigi and I am so concerned he will hurt them.

He is such a gentle thing with me but with the other goats he is becoming a handful.

Today I sat on him for 50 minutes straight and he finally gave in!!! But then I was putting Gigi and he butted her off the milking stand while I was petting her! :angry: :veryangry: So now he is in with the dogs. "in the dog house" takes on a whole new meaning now.

He is staying there till I decide what to do or I find him a new home :tears:

If anyone has any ideas :idea: on how to train a jealous goat to let me pet other goats feel free to let me know! I have tried everything for the past few days :scratch:

He is 2 years old --- which is the turning point and I NEED to get him past this or get him a new home :cry:

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Have you tried spraying him with half and half vinegar and water? Works on Heidi. :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he doesn't mind being sprayed - tried that when wouldnt' get off the gate as I tried to get in the pen.

4. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I must say that all of my Pygmys, especially Rosie, seemed to be jealous of the attention I gave the Nubians. I'll be petting Splash or Shadow and Rosie will come right in between us and shove them away. :roll: I don't think there is much to do to change this. I remember Izzie was really mean with her horns. Had to get rid of her and Coco.
    It is ashame you would have to get rid of him. You have had him for awhile, haven't you?

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    There are some things that might help a bit- but if he's really determined????
    One is that, if he is the boss, you respect that- you give him treats first and pet him first- he gets what his goatie social order tells him is his due.
    Then you could talk to him first, put him in a seperate stall, out of site, then proceed with the others. Even just hitching him to the fence with a little food in a bucket, if you think no one else will take advantage of that by ramming him.
    The trouble with trying to make them do what you want while they are loose is that you really have no control over that- you can't really make him do anything.
    Maybe you could isolate him with one buddy for quite awhile til he bonds with tha goat rather than you.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Isolation isn't possible due to my one pen setup.

I do try to give him attention --- well he demands it even if I am not willing at that moment.

he is seriously demanding. I can push him away 50 times and he still comes back! :angry:

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It's not that you give him attention when you don't want anything from the goats but that you give what ever is going around to him first. Right now he probably feels like an only child when a new one comes along- he feels displaced. He does the only thing he knows what to do- he tries to keep the new one away. If he was a human, he'd be tugging at your skirts and asking ridiculous questions and making demands to keep you focussed on him.
    Time might sort that out - but you's need to be careful so that no one gets hurt.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    but I don't want to have to only give him attention and then only Gigi attention. I can't always be putting him "away" when i want to spend time with her. it isn't feasable and he takes every moment to ram her even if I am just in the pen feeding Presto his bottle or holding Sweet Pea to let Kitten nurse. :GAAH:

9. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i'm having the same problem with Pig
    he was a bottle baby and would curl up in my lap to take his bottles
    now he's horribly jealous of Ivy and Arthur
    (new buck but that's another thread)
    what i do takes time but nothing happens over night
    i keep a dog collar next to my gate
    (i use it on the girls on the milk stand too)
    if Pig butts another goat out of jealousy
    i put the collar on him and clip him to a fence post
    i do it close enough to me so i make sure he doesn't get hurt
    and so i can reach over and scratch him once in a while
    he has to learn that mom can love more than one goat at a time
    it's working
    i've been doing this for a couple weeks now
    he'll still come and run in between me and ivy or me and arthur but he doesnt butt them anymore
    good luck
    God Bless

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tonight I let him back in and put Gigi on the other side. She wasn't happy so when I went back out to feed Presto and Kitten I put them all back together again. Jasper and Destiny and Sweet Pea all beared their head down at her adn she ran (at different times not all at once) but eventually they left her alone and I gave Jasper pettings and then pet and fed the others. Destiny had given up her post in the hay feeder to attend to Tanzy and Gigi took her haven in the hay feeder.

I will try that option if I get the chance. I have tie ups all around the pen as I tie each goat up for feeding.

I left Jasper just laying down snoozing I suppose (it was to dark to see his face) and Gigi eating her hay in the feeder.

I want this to work out, I really do. I love them both way to much. But I don't want to harm one to save the other

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like Gigi loves the hay feeder.

It's a tough decision. I would give him a little more time and see if things don't settle down. He is such a sweetie and I just loved his wattles!

:hug: