I am SO SICK of yellow scours! Help anyone?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Jul 6, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My poor little bottle babies just wont stop scouring! I would have thought by now it would have run its course but I just cant get it to stop no matter what I do.

It is a thin yellow scour, very occasionally its a little darker. They seem to scour for a few days, then are ok for a few days, then scour for a few days. They arent sick with it, still drinking their bottle and playing (with the exception of one this morning, still playing but refused the bottle). They are about 2 wks old.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the main causes of yellow scours are salmonella, e coli and overfeeding. Salmonella and e coli I would have thought would kill them quicker than this - in a matter of days. And I'm pretty certain its not overfeeding because ordinarily I would be feeding more than what they are getting at the moment.

Now, they've had a long course of triprim, which is a trimethoprim antibiotic with sulfadiazine, which SHOULD have taken care of salmonella, e coli, and cocci if that were it. but I'm not seeing any improvement

The only thing left in my arsenal, is I'm going to change milk replacer today. Now normally, I have never ever had a problem with milk replacer. I've always used this brand with tremendous success. But they (same brand) have just released a speciality lamb and kid milk which is the same price as the one I am using now, bit more fat than the one now and a touch less protein. Will see if that maybe helps.

:? Any thoughts?

2. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    I have a good milk replacer and a whole lot cheaper than the store bought kind! Here it is, I hope I can do this computer thingy right!

I use the following: (Coni Ross's formula)
    1 small egg
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
    3 cups warm water
    Mix thoroughly and serve.

Add 1 scoop probiotic powder to one bottle per day.

Double the recipe is :
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
    6 cups warm water

Hope this helps.

Well, by golly I did it! Give that man a kewpie doll!!!!!! :leap: :cool: :wahoo:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I had a kid scouring like that and the only thing that helped him was a course of Excenel.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :( I cant get that here ... bugger

Fred, thanks for the recipe. But the replacer I use works out to be 85 cents per litre ... I'd have to sit down and work it out but wouldnt your recipe be much dearer than that?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Got anything in the same class of drug? It's a cephalosporin.

6. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    We have been using this formula in lieu of milk replacer for about 4 years. Nary a problem with scours. Maybe change up and see if it works? We usually mix in a little probios in just to help the rumen. Sometimes a little evaporated milk to sweeten it and encourage consumption. It can't hurt, so try it and see what happens. As was said before on other health topics, once you cure the symptoms you can always take them off of the feeding regimen, medication, or treatment when they are well. It's hard to cure a goat that is lying on it's back with all four legs in the air and not using up oxygen! :sigh:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the thing is, I'm not convinced its the milk replacer. I've raised hundreds of babies of all species on it for many years without scour problems. this is the only time I've had such a problem, and it wont respond to any of the treatments that should clear it up.

ashley, all I can get is oxytetracycline (which works well as a broad spectrum a/b for me) and trimethoprim w/ sulfadiazine (which works well as a narrow spectrum GIT a/b). Not much registered for use in goats here, and I guess ordinarily I could twist the arm of my vet to use something off label, except that these babies are to go to slaughter in 2 mths time, so I do have to be strict on using labelled drugs and observing with holding periods.

weighed them tonight, ordinarily my babies start off gaining 1kg per week, and by 3 - 4 wks they do 2kg per week. these guys, 1 of them did the 1kg/week which is good, the others did 400g per week, which is a whole lot better than I expected. I expected them to have 0 gain or have lost weight

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont know if its significant or not, but I can hear their bellies sloshing around when they walk ... I guess that means the milk isnt curdling in the abomasum

9. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Have you added a probiotic powder such as probios or calf-pac? Are they starting to eat at solid food? Maybe you need to prime their rumen stomach? Try giving them a pelleted feed with rumensin in it? That would help with any coccidia and start them to munching on stuff.
    I may be shooting in the dark on this, but getting the scours to stop is what is needed.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long were they on antibiotics for?

neomycin works for ecoli - might need something fairly strong to kick butt you know. But you are right, most of the time they would be dead by now. :scratch:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keren, I wish I could help you. I have never had a problem like that. I just hope you can get it solved.

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Was talking to a cattle gal, who suggested sometimes knocking back the protein can help calf scours, and since I've changed milk powder that will take care of that, it will be interesting to see what happens

Fred, I've loaded them up on probiotics, more than I normally do. Two of them eat solid feed, pellets (which have a coccidiostat in them) and hay. The others nibble the hay but not much

Stacey, we did a 7 day course of the a/b, when normally 1-3 days is enough.

It looks like two are cleared up today, two badly scouring (one lethargic, one fine), and one almost cleared up. I'm just about to head out and start separating them, the two good ones from the rest, bleach out and lime the pens and put them into a fresh area. Fingers crossed.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    good idea separating them.

let us know how everything goes!

14. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    It's good to hear you are making progress! I hope you and the babies continue to show improvement! :sun:

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad ..to hear ...that there is improvement.....Still praying ...they all ..get well ...and back to healthy wee ones..... :hug: :pray:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Funny you should say that Fred, because I'm not feeling so crash hot myself today. Something has upset my stomach ... :(

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no Keren ...now ..we need to pray ...that you are feeling better soon... :( :hug: :pray:
    I am sorry ...you aren't feeling well.... :(

18. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Maybe now that things have improved you can have a pause from all of the excitement and take some time for yourself.
    Have a little rest and take the time to care for the caretaker?! :hug:
    Have a good meal (something you love but is sinfully fattening!) take the time to nap or relax between care sessions.
    Maybe rent a movie that you really have been wanting to see. :drool: (one with some handsome leading man!)
    GO DO SOME SHOPPING!!!!! :stars: :leap: :cool: (shopping makes everyone happy! until they get the credit card bill! :roll: )
    You have been busier than a one-legged woman in a hopscotch contest, take some time for yourself!
    Physician, heal thyself!

19. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Is it possible that particular batch of replacer might have been tainted/ no good?

20. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    check out my post under "going to lose another one" about Bio-sponge. Worth a try!

(boy is my new computer keyboard hard to master!)

Denise