I am so sorry my Rascal

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by dobe627, Mar 1, 2011.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Oh Rascal I hope you know how loved you were. I would have never thought today would be your last. You were so young and healthy for your 14 weeks of life. I know you knew you were a favorite as you became my constant little shadow. Always eager to give me a kiss especially if there was a treat. I swear I heard you calling me but it was just my hearts desire to still have you here. I know your mom misses you too. We all love and will miss you sweet boy.
    Well I haven't stopped crying in a few hours. Rascal was too well endowed to band so had the vet doing it. When she called and said" I am afriad I don't have good news" my heart just dropped. I am surprised I didn't get pulled over( wouldn't have stopped I don't think) but he was gone till I got there. I had pulled him and because he was a single I let him always hang with me. We really had a bond. I feel awful. And no more babies coming this year to help with the pain

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry... for your loss...it is never easy.... :( :hug:

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I posted a picture of him on my facebook page- Cathy Hake. It was from a few weeks ago. If I knew I was going to lose him would have gotten alot more. I still can't quit crying and its been like 5 hours

6. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    So sorry for you loss ......

7. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Oh I'm so sorry.... :grouphug:

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

:hug: I am sorry. That is so sad. :hug:

9. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks everyone. This is hitting me really hard-still crying alot. I just have so many questions today. The vet said he started to bloat on table just as she was finishing up then cardiac arrest. Shouldnt she have been able to do something about the bloat if she was right there? I am wondering if he got onto his back? Also all of his hooves are trimmed( freshly) did she take the time to do that-wasting time with him under anesthia? I hate to throw blame but it just doesn't seem to make sense today, or maybe I just need to blame someone since I feel so quilty for taking him. I know it gets easier but right now it just doesn't seem that way. I miss him and the barn just isn't the same.

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I too am sorry for your loss. I take all mine to the vet and knock on wood everyone has done great. My vet has me stay with my guys. He gives them a shot and they never leave my arms. He does not put them on their backs. He lets them lay on their sides with their head on my lap with a towel (they drool) his nurse holds up a back leg while doc Berry washes and then snips away. He gives the reversal and a pain shot and does the paper work while I wake them up. He even gives me a pain shot to take home. I didn't think to get one when I had Hershey done and boy did he let me know it! He cried most of the night. From then on I always make sure to get an extra pain shot to bring home. It has made everyone much more comfy.
    Ask the vet if she put him on his side or back. I don't feed mine the morning of the snipping either. They get jelly beans and kool aid water when they get home til they can stand and not stagger. They get evening feeding if they want it. Romeo wanted me to stay and feed him jelly beans and Hershey just wanted me to stay and be a pillow and rub his ears. He was the biggest baby of all. (he was a year old at the time) Romeo was 2 years old. It is much easier to do them when they are younger. Moose was the easiest. He was about 3 months old.
    How many goats does your vet see? How many has she wethered? Ask what kind of sedative did she use? Some goats get stressed the longer they have to wait. (if stuck in a dog crate around a bunch of barking dogs) That's why mine never leave me. Less stress on them and me. He uses a shot instead of gas. He uses less than recomended too. Just enough for them to doze off. Much easier for them to wake up. Don't be afraid to ask questions and google the meds she gave him. If you don't like the answers, check out others in your area. Your feelings count. Don't let anyone tell you he's just livestock. That's your baby. Protect him and you. Sometimes no matter what we do, they have a bad reaction. Ask questions just in case. It will help you grieve. Knowing is better than not. Let me know what you find out. I can ask my vet if you can't find out about a med. He's awesome. And he never treats mine like stock. :wink: He knows better. I probably put his kid through collage.
    Put him on Goat Angels on FB. Lots of love there. :hug: :pray:
    Gina

11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks for telling me about goat angels-posted there. DH is burying him now- as the sun sets(symbolic I think). He was there ALL day which I wasn't happy about. Dropped off at 8am and she didn't call till 1:50. I don't know what she used since she didn't charge me I didn't get any paper work. She was at another clinic and had dehorned some of my goats in the past but she has her own place. I know in the past only cylezene(sp) was used that's problalby the shot you mentiond. It's quick and I never had a problem. I don't know for sure how he was layed out but do know a goat should NEVER be put on it's back. And I do know that cats and dogs ARE done this way.