I am the world's worst goat mommy :'(

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I didn't feel well this morning, so I took my time getting to the barn... and I feel like such a failure. I opened the pop-doors and everyone but Holly came out to greet me. I thought that was odd. Until I opened the barn door and saw she had fallen in between the dog house and hay bale, upside down sometime last night and couldn't get out :( She's dead and Noel is crying so loudly, my heart is breaking and I don't know what to do...

Can goats be traumatized like people? Should I give them anything? Moony and Cozy just stared and watched me carry Holly out of the barn silently.

:tears: I'm crying so hard, I'm hyperventilating. I'm such a failure.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you poor thing I am so sorry. its not your fault really it isn't. Oh I cant imagine your pain

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh my gosh- thats so sad!! Im so sorry

Yes goats definately do miss their buddies when they go (wether they leave the farm or they pass on) It will take some time for Noel to adjust, but hopefully she and your new 5 month old can pal up together.

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Oh, Shell. I'm so-o-o-o-o sorry about Holly. I'm sure Noel misses Holly, but I think she will adjust OK with a little extra TLC from you. You're not a failure. We never know when our charges are going to do something that we never dreamed they would do. I'm sure you would never have left that area open if you knew it could be dangerous. I'll say a prayer for you and your goaties today, that you can comfort each other.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Your not a failure!! These things happen. May favorite goat, Spice, Got her leg caught as a kid and was hanging upsidedown for hours until I found her, Thankfully she didn't break anything, but she was very upset at the time. I held her in my arms for about and hour and comforted her till she fell asleep. She did have soft tissue damage inside which has made her joint a bit painful to bend. But there was nothing else I could have done to stop her from doing that. I didn't know she could get her leg caught. It never occured to me.

Try to comfort your goats, these things happen. Their adventure and curiosity gets the better of them sometimes and there's nothing we can do to help. Short of you being there 24/7 I don't see what you could have done different :hug:

6. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

omG, *hug* that is definitely devestating!
    ditto to what everyone else said.
    *Hug*

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh, I am sooooo very sorry.....how heartbreaking :( ....I can only imagine how you feel right now.... Don't beat yourself up, no way you could have known..... sometimes things just happen that are out of our control :hug:

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    :tears: I've moved the bale and pulled the dog house out. If I lost Noel to the same thing, I don't know what I'd do :tears:

9. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    oh goodness, Shell, i'm so sorry. It isn't your fault at all ((hugs)) we all have those days when it's hard to get out to the barn bright and early, if she had already died, there probably wasnt much you could have done even had you been there a little earlier. I know the pain all to well myself, the "what ifs" were torture. I was having such a hard time forgiving myself that I wasnt able to let go. Yes, I believe that animals grieve like us humans, and differently for every goat. Give them time and extra lovin. Just from your posts, I know that you are an AMAZING goat mommy, Shell.

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh no..... I'm sooooo sorry!!! :shocked: I don't see how you could have done anything differently though.... that is not your fault... accidents happen. We've all been there at one point or another... that doesn't make you a bad goat mommy. :hug: Again, I am so sorry you are having to go through this!!! :hug:

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thank you everyone, for the kind comments. I know it probably wasn't my fault, but it still sucks so bad :( Not just for me, but her twin Noel is crying up a storm.

12. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    It seems like freak accidents have happened to many on TGS, so please don't beat yourself up about it. Of course you are sad, though . . . I'm so sorry!!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss..... :( but as everyone has mentioned ...it is not your fault..... :hug: No matter how safe... we have our places...goats somehow get into predicaments.. that we never would dream ...would happen..... It was a freak accident... and I know... it isn't easy to lose our beloved goats..... My heart goes out to you.... :hug:

14. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Oh no, I'm so sorry. It is a tragic accident. Noel will grieve just like you will. When our Daisy lost her twins she cried for days for them. I think that's what made it worse for me was all her crying.
    :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

15. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh no..I had almost the exact same thing happen when I first got goats, to my first and only registered, beautiful little doeling. I was devastated, it was the worst thing ever. I blamed myself for not "seeing" the danger.

I'm so sorry

16. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    I am so sorry for your lost. :( You seem to be such a caring person and accidents do happen to all of us. I know that being said, you are still feeling a terrible loss. I will be praying for you.

Connie

17. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with what everyone has said... there is no way to think up every possible thing that could go wrong and you can't beat yourself up over it. So big :hug: to you and Noel... And don't forget to spend some time cuddling with Noel & Moony & Cozy and give them some extra treats.... it will help them and you get through this! :hug:

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh Hun, I am so sorry for your loss. It must of been devastating to see her. Just remember, it is Gods plan, there was no way you could of prevented it. HUGS

19. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Oh Im so sorry for your loss :tears: . You are not a bad goat mommy. I am sure things like this has happend to a good portion of us. It is very difficult to go through this type of thing and I know my worst fear is to not see my goats when I go out and look for them and find them dead, It has happened to me just last month it was horrable. Give noel some love and spend time with her im sure it will help both of you, Take care :grouphug:

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry. How tragic an accident, no matter what we do to keep our kids safe and healthy these things happen. Don't beat yourself up, give Noel lots of love, she'll be ok soon.