I am very thankful for The Goat Spot!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dunfactor, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I want to say thank you to all for the great information provided by this forum! The info I had read about on this forum saved my little Nigerian doe, Velcro's life. :greengrin:

When I went out to feed this past Monday AM, I was horrified to find Velcro looking horrible. When I fed the night before, Velcro was her normal lovey self, hungry and begging for attention. In the morning, I found her standing head down, ears and body drooping low, no appetite at all, and even her hair coat was looking rough and odd. Her breathing was labored and she looked bloated. I have been battling a persistant cough with my goats since I brought my new girls home. They were all shiny, bright eyed with nice color to their eyelids, had a great appetite, and looking nice and heathy other then that darn cough. Then Velcro suddenly crashed. :-(

Thanks to this site, I knew that I should get some baking soda into her to relieve the bloating. I was also able to quickly find the dosage for Duramycin and that it should be administered Sub Q as well as dosage for injectable B-Vitamin. I got both from TSC and got them into Velcro asap along with some Banamine. By the next morning, I could tell she was on the road to recovery. Her hair coat was back to looking normal and she was starting to perk up. She looked better and better each day. Today after 6 days of treatment, Velcro is looking like her normal, perky self other then a touch of weakness. She is ticked at me for those shots but raisins help with that. :wink: Snap and Vera also have had the cough and so have been getting the Duramycin as well.

Should the cough go completely away before I stop the Oxytet? None are in milk so withdrawl time is not a concern.

So again, thank you all for the great info that you provide on this site!!! This is a great forum and you saved my little Velcro's life. :cool:

Tracy

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As with people with coughs....animals are the same... it can take a little while after treatment to go away....but ....it will subside..... with a little time... depending on the severity...

We are so happy to help save the precious life of Velcro.... :wink: :) . and you are very welcome ........... :thumbup: that is what TGS is here for..... :thumb: :hi5: :hug: :grouphug:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You are quite welcome :hug: Glad to hear that all the info here provided by members was very helpful in your quick action to treat your girl :hug:

Follow the doseage directions to the letter, it may take a few days for it to clear up after the last dose but you may also need to treat again after 10 days if there is no change.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so glad you were able to save your little girl. I absolutely LOVE this site, and all the information, and the wonderful help that everyone is so willing to give. I know I have learned SOOOO MUCH in the past couple of months that I've been posting here.

5. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This really is an excellent site both for reference and the chance to read about everyones beautiful goats. :thumb: It is so nice to be able to quickly run a search to find info quickly instead of sifting through the whole internet.

Liz, I am making sure to follow the directions closely. :greengrin: I do not want to risk having the bacteria hanging around and developing resistance to the OxyTet.

Velcro is continuing to improve every day. She is still coughing a bit but it is more a soft cough then a hacking cough if that makes sense. She is also coughing less often. She is nice and bright eyed. She is a bit ticked at me for the shots but she should get over it with love and animal crackers. ;-) :wink: Snap and Vera are barely coughing at all, maybe once when I am out there but that is it. :cool: The antibiotics did give Snap diarrhea but I gave probiotics to them all soon as I saw the runny poop and that is also helping.

Thanks again to you all!!!
    Tracy

6. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I know - isn;t everyone here great - they have helped me a ton also!!!!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :grouphug: We are all a team.....members ...as well as mods and administrator... :wink: :thumb:

8. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    I totally agree this site is SO amazing, see I am a stay at home mom of two boys and I keep my sanity by driving my self insane with animals. This site allows me to talk about and ask questions about all my critters and not be called crazy. My husband although supportive isn't in to talking goat or chicken or what have you and this site makes me feel welcome and normal ( well as normal as I'll ever be) Thanks to all the people who make TGS the TGS