I bought an electric ice cream maker to....

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Dreamchaser, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Use as a butter churner! It's a little tiny one, so I'm hoping to try it out when the goats are producing. :D

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like a neat toy..... tell us how it goes... :wink: :greengrin:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I never thot of using mine as a butter churn!! Cool! I use my Kitchen Aid with the paddle beater...I bet the ice cream maker would be less messy!

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, this one has nice paddles on it. I have a bigger one in the garage that you put ice around. If this works, I'll be making bigger batches with the one in the garage.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Do you guys have a cream separator? I have debated getting one but they are soooo expensive. How do you make butter in a Kitchen Aid? I would love to make my own butter!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No cream separator, I strain fresh milk into a wide mouth mason jar and skim it the following day, I put the cream into a container in the freezer and add to it daily til I have a pint....takes me about a week with 3 littkle goats in milk. I thaw it and put it in the stand mixer bowl with the paddle beater, start very slow til it thickens then speed up....the butter sticks to the paddle.

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I do have a hand cranking cream seperator. I just watched on ebay, and bid. It took me about a year to finally get one though. But I really got a steal on the one I got. I'm really on a tight budget, so I had to wait until I could snatch one up cheap. Also though, it really helps to do your research. And don't buy bits and pieces of one, get one that is complete. Otherwise you will be chasing parts, and spending too much money.

9. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Good to know on both counts Liz and Dreamchaser. I tried to skim milk from the fridge last year but my hubby kept shaking the jars!!!! :::grrrr::: then when I got him to quit that, the cream I had collected spoiled before I could do anything with it. It never occurred to me to freeze the skimmings each day ::thwaps forehead:: Soooo I will keep my eyes on ebay and skim away in the mean time. Now if only my does would cooperate and get bred and kid :p