i broke down today and got

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by SDK, Nov 4, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    6 chicks!

i know.. ridiculous haha but they had my favorites so i got some

i got two rhode island reds, two buff orpingtons, an americauna, and what they say is a black jersey giant

they feedstore says they get pullets so they should all be girls, but i wouldn't mind a rooster
    haha

the reds and americauna are two weeks and the orpingtons and jersey are one week

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    cute little chickadee's.........peep....peep.....LOL :)

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Neat! They are cute!

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Awwww...they are cute! Congrats!

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Cute!

Congrats on the wittle babies! I just had one hatch today, and two yesterday, they are sweet little things.

6. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    I want a pet chick :(

They are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cute ^^

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    best part is. they are literally in the living room.. in plain view. my dad walked in and sat right in front of them and didn't notice.

my sister walks in 10 min later and sees they right away and say, why do we have chicks?

you should have seen dads face :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Men LOL... PEEP PEEP

Congrats to your lil egg layers to be! I could not have resistances those little peeper either.

PiccoloGoat- believe or not chickens can make really good pets. I am sure there are people over there that would be willing to sell you 2 or 3 chickens for a mini flock, if you can keep them where you live.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea i live in a housing tract and i had two chickens as pets. no one complained.

10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Just a suggestion: start saving your egg cartons now. In about 18 weeks or so, you'll have eggs coming out your ears! Unfortunately, they grow out of the cute stage way too quickly :sigh:

I've got 50 of the little buggers (mostly Reds).

Attached Files:

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i love reds :love: :love: :love:

i would have gotten all reds, but mom wanted some different ones

what age can you tell roosters for hens?

12. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    For your normal every day person, not for about a month. I was supposed to have 50 pullets & still ended up with 3 roosters.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    he didn't hear a peep out of them.....LOL.... too funny... :ROFL:

14. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Oh how cute I like the varieties that you chose. My daughter is getting some ducklings in the spring. It is too hard to raise the babies here in the winter! How long are you keeping them in the house?

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    MissM........ :) .......is this for all breeds of chickens....? Just curious...

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Toth, earlier laying is most common for egg laying breeds, like the reds, barred rocks, black australops, buffs, ect, but as for some meat and fancy breeds it will be longer. Generally alot of people never let meat birds get too old, to lay alot of eggs, but I've known of some that never lay eggs until well over a year. As for fancy breeds, like jungle fowl, phoenix, polish, ect, I'm not exactly sure, as we've never had specific breeds seperate, but I've had several fancy hens ages 2 y/o + go broody and hatch out chicks.
    But no it is not the same for all hens, and i've never any hens lay eggs anywhere near 18 weeks.

please correct me if I'm wrong MissMM. I have over 200 chickens, and its hard to keep track of what each does from day to day!

17. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! I've got the chicken fever myself right now. I have 8 RIRs, 3 Blue Andulsian/RIR cross hens, Cuckoo Marans, lots of Cochin bantams, and assorted purebred bantams too. Waiting on most of them to lay. My RIRs and 3 blue cross hens are all laying well. :D

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you for the info......Amos......I was wondering ..because I am raising some barred rock and rhode island reds....... :)

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    They are so very cute! They do grow out of their cuteness very quickly though. . . . ;)

My uncle and aunt raise meat chickens every year - about 100, they live on pasture. . . . live a very good life, even though it's pretty short. Anyways, those things at about 1 month old are THE UGLIEST creatures!! And they get so fat that their feathers fall out on their butts, very ridiculous looking. . . . they sure taste good though. :oops: :wink:

Yours are cute ones though. . . . for now. ;)

20. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I am by no means a chicken expert - all I know is what I've read & remember from childhood on the farm. "Laying hens" will typically start laying eggs anywhere between 18 and 21 weeks of age. We had a few that started laying at 18 weeks old, but they were midget "hobbit" eggs to start with. At about 22 to 23 weeks of age, they were all pretty much laying eggs the size that you would purchase at a grocery store. We have a few hens that are laying mongo huge egss w/double yolks consistently. I call them my "amazon girls" I've yet to find an egg carton that they will fit in.

Re: sexing a chic...... that's why I paid for someone else to do it.... I'm not a fan of scrutinizing chicken butts........ and unless you're really good at it, it's hard to be sure until they're about a month old. That's what I've been told anyway.