The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a now 3 year old doe. Healthy & good weight. I bought her when she was just under a year old. I have had her with a buck for 7 months & I had her with a buck for a short time last year. I tried lute twice. She has had a pudge but not really big. I thought she took finally. I didn't check it for milk. She has minerals, no major worm issues & not over weight. The last buck covered several does & I have kids from him. Same with the first buck. I saw the last buck bred her 6 months ago. She does not act like a buck.. She is my youngest daughters show goat.
Any ideas how to get her bred?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is on Alfalfa or Alfalfa mix hay & pellets once a day. They get loose minerals, Replamin gel plus a few times a month, copper bolus once to twice a year. Depends on the goat. I only grain does in milk & kids. Unless one needs a little extra. This goat doesn't. She will get fat. All the does I bred this year took except her. Her sire is a Dill's buck & I have her dam lines in my herd.
The vet was going to be the next on my list. I know she is not a grand champ doe but she holds her own & my 8 yr old daughter loves her & showing her. They have a special bond.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Okay, so I may be totally off here, and even Mariarose hadn’t heard anything about this (so most definitely take it with several grains of salt), but I have a theory that Selenium deficiency can cause settling problems. It’s based off a single doe (I know, just one) that I had trouble getting to settle until I started her on regular selenium supplements. Since then I’ve always been very careful to keep my does up on selenium. I also have read something that mentioned it (which is why I started treatment) but I haven’t been able to find it again so I have nothing to back me.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
What kind of minerals and feed do you give. I would flush her before her next heat
How do you flush her. The reason I'm asking is I have one that didn't kid this year also. She was a newcomer to the herd 3 months before breeding season. I have watched and have seen no signs of heat with her since I've had her. She gets minerals, alfalfa pellets, copper bolus and has cobalt blocks like all the rest of the herd.

Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
You increase the amount of protein she is getting fairly rapidly one week before breeding and two weeks after. For that I like using Sunshine plus from blue seal
I don't think I can get that here.☹

Reactions: CaramelKittey

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I had a doe with pretty much the same problem. I believe she is now pregnant. We ended up having to give her a dose of Cystorelin as we believe she had a cyst on her ovaries. We tried to breed her about 7-8 times before she settled. We tried the BoSe shot before we bred her, she was always in good health. A little overweight but not too concerning. She may have also settled this time due to the fact that we switched from Manna Pro to Sweetlix Minerals.

It is possible that your doe is sterile however it is very unlikely if she is going into heat. Are her heat cycles exactly every 18-21 days? Is she polled? Does she have polled goats in her pedigree?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Okay, so I may be totally off here, and even Mariarose hadn't heard anything about this (so most definitely take it with several grains of salt), but I have a theory that Selenium deficiency can cause settling problems. It's based off a single doe (I know, just one) that I had trouble getting to settle until I started her on regular selenium supplements. Since then I've always been very careful to keep my does up on selenium. I also have read something that mentioned it (which is why I started treatment) but I haven't been able to find it again so I have nothing to back me.
I have heard this theory as well from a knowledgeable goat breeder. Giving our doe a BoSe shot before we bred her did not work for us but I believe that was because she had other problems. (Not mineral related) That's not to say it won't work for other goats. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts