I Can't Believe It! **PICS**

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by DebMc, Mar 14, 2010.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'm getting a handsome purebred Sebastopol gander for free! He's 2 years old, purebred, breeding quality, and free of any and all joint deformities. I can't believe it! Why am I so excited...a little background.

A couple year ago I had to rehome all of my waterfowl due to worsening of a serious, lifelong disorder. I was in the final stages of neuromuscular meltdown. The docs said there was no treatment other than what I was already doing so basically I should just go home and die, there was nothing they could do. Rather than giving up, I continued to research and it paid off big time. Come to find out, I have a rare metabolic disorder, an inborn error of metabolism, that is treatable! And I discovered this just in the knick of time.

Anyway, last spring, as I slowly began to come out of it and show improvement, instead of rejoicing I sank into a deep depression over the loss of my beloved animals, especially my geese. Try as I may, I couldn't move on past the grieving. They had been the reason I got out of bed every morning to try to make it through another day and now they were gone. I loved them so much and missed them terribly. So to try to remedy that, before I even regained use of my hands, I went out and got myself a trio of female goslings and started rebuilding my waterfowl farm and my life one animal at a time. :)

Fastforward to the present and I now have a few barnyards full of the most amazing critters. And things are looking up. My disabled son is on the verge of finally getting his diagnosis confirmed (it's hereditary) via the same medical research university and liver enzyme assay that confirmed mine. But with all the medical expenses - some of the biomolecular/genetic tests cost thousands apiece and we've had to pay for most of it out of pocket via loans, etc. - there is no way I could afford to buy a good breeder quality gander to breed my Sebastopol goose, who just turned one. No big deal, there's always next year, right?

Well, as they say, "What goes up, comes down and goes around." When rehoming my waterfowl back in 2008, I chose to donate some silly lil' Silky Ducks to a private elementary school. As it so happens, they are now returning the favor. They have a beautiful Seb gander who lost his mate and needs a better home. The director has waived the rehoming fee and is giving him to me free of charge! I can't believe it! :stars:

I will post pics after we get him home and settled in.

Deb Mc

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: I Can't Believe It!

That is Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!! :stars leaping:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

cool! those geese are so unique!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh thats so awesome I am real happy for you

cant wait to see pictures :D

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:thumbup: that's great.... :greengrin:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Oh I'm soooooooo happy for you!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

7. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

Congratulations! :stars: Yes, lotsa pics! :wink:

8. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

Congratulations, what a heartwarming story! I love Sebs, have never owned one but have always wanted one!

Definitely need pictures of your pair when the big boy comes home!

9. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    He's home and it was love at first sight. :lovey: :eek:hlala: When we freed him from the crate, Aubrey, my female Seb, stepped forward and greeted him. It was like she knew it was a love story waiting to happen. :love:

Deb Mc

Attached Files:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe Im glad they both have eachother now

11. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    He is so amazingly beautiful! And your story is going to stick with me all night. I'm so happy for you! What is his name?

12. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks! His name is Liam.

Deb Mc

13. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    He's a handsome fella, I can see why it was love at first sight!!

14. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    He's wonderful-have lots of fun!
    This is so sweet!

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Boy - he is really pretty and unique looking!

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    beautiful..... :greengrin: :love:

17. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Congratulations, Deb! :wahoo:

18. echocreekranch

echocreekranch New Member

Oct 6, 2009
    He is gorgeous.....and your place looks like goose heaven.

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol the goose got electrocuted :p sebs are pretty, but i don't think they'd do well at my setup. I've got 3 pilgrim girls.. and ihad a chinese male, lets just say the had a lovers spat and he left the safety of the pens... and something got him

20. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa