The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nothing comes out..day 7, yesterday i got a half cup out of my ff ND, but today hardly anything...couldn't do it...I'm about to give up...sooo frustrated.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Sorry you are frustrated... It does take time to get used to it though. If she has kids or a kid you may want to separate at night and milk in the morning... I know one day I had milk, and the next almost nothing... Mr Beebop the kid drank it all, so I separate at night and milk in the AM..

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
If you are new to milking, it is hard. You just have to keep trying. Are you massaging her udder? Since she has a kid on her, they are good at holding back milk for their kid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
everything looks normal from what I can tell. I didn't have the kid separated though so maybe that was the problem. I'm honestly ready to give up the goat breeding milking thing thats how frustrated I am. If its going to take more than 10 min or so every day, I'm not sure i have the time to deal with it... frustrating. I thought it would be easy.

·
Super Moderator
59,313 Posts
Initially it is never quick. It takes a while and a lot of practice. Even with the big girls it is hard. You can always try separating mom and baby and see if that helps.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Yep...separate at night...milk in the am...they won't like it at first, but they get used to the program, and so will you if you stick it out :) It takes time to get quicker....it should only take you a few minutes a day after you get the hang of it. Remember to massage the udder to get her to release her milk too!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I usually get to bed about 11:30, asleep by midnight (if I am not dumb and troll the forums till 1am) and am back up at 5am ever morning to do choice and get ready to leave for work. This is on the off season when I am not feeding babies their morning milk. During those months, I am up at 4am every morning cept Sundays. That is my recover day. Saturday mornings are for fishing :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had a ff last year that was next to impossible to milk. Everything was so small. After a while, the kids broke her in stretching her out and then I had something to hold onto to try to milk her. With that doe, her first year as a milk doe was not so great and I pulled my hair out then gave up. This year..over a gallon a day, easy milking, and very soft and broken in. After all that work, I realized milk goats arent for me (rather be fishing) and they moved to another milk lovin' home.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
more power to you for getting up that early... this week was brutal though becasue I had my farm and two other farms to take care of in the morning. Really can't exist on your schedule... need to be in bed at 10 to be up at 5... and with my bear around I really don't want to put the goats outside that early so not sure what to do with that one.

I'll keep trying. tonight I'll separate mom and see if that helps. thanks... but if I can't get it down to a science I may not be able to handle it. Perhaps in the winter when there is less work to do on the farm it won't be so overwhelming...

·
Registered
930 Posts
I hear you on the work! I am up at 4 am, making lunches for both of us, husband leaves at 4:45, I then go do milking and other chores, I get home from work (I have an hour commute) milk, do all the other chores, we have chickens, 3 acres to water, about 4 gardens and an orchard, then I drag myself inside to start supper, about that time husband gets home (his commute right now is 1 1/2 hours plus working 10 - 11 hour days), he eats and goes to bed. Then some kitchen clean up time and off to bed with me. This is only temporary so I can handle it.

All that to say this: I love my goats, and the wonderful milk I get from them. If I have to get up at 3 to get everything done (again, temporary) I will. Trust me it does get easier. I have a girl really hard to milk, I just kept after it and now she is one of my easier milkers. Don't give up!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Morning milking is kinda impossible . I have to leave house at 630 and I have dogs and horses too. :-(
I separate the kids from their mom in the morning and milk in the evening when they are still on her. I put off morning milking as long as i can, haha! Like many of these other folks i have a whole list of stuff I have to do in the mornings, too, and the longer I can put off adding morning milking to the schedule the better.

I don't get much of anything from my does when their kids are on them. I have one doe i can get anything from when she is nursing, or used to be able to anyway, before I lost half her udder. The rest I have to separate of I want anything.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well....its gotten a little easier. I don't have a milk stand yet, but am using a grooming table which helps alot. I can get a half cup of milk but the flow is miniscule.. compared to what the breeder got when she milked her so I'm not doing something right... how can it take that long if its just a small ND? how long do you spend milking? I can't imagine it taking forever... if so, I"m in the market for a milk machine down the road..lol. And yes, I can get up earlier on some days, but on days I have two other farms to take care no I can't get up earlier... not gonna happen. especially not with the bear that lives in the wood by the barn. too chicken and it will be too early to turn out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts