I couldnt help myself either - They are home!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Mar 31, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :oops:

I'm getting the white girl from this group,

[​IMG]

plus I'm going to pick out two older girls when I go out there in a week or two - hopefully I will find some brown and white patched ones, like at the front right of this group, and maybe that darker brown chocolate colour, like the one on the left, with some white.

[​IMG]

I'll pick them up in a week or two ... they are due to start lambing basically in a week or two, so it wont be long before I have six sheep, instead of three!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: I couldnt help myself either

They are really nice, it's not often you see a sheep around here with a tail :wink:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

really pretty..... :wink: :love:

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

man, I am so excited! I think that white ewe has some style about her, compared with the others. She's 5 yrs old.

I dont think the old girls will look as flash as her - they are old ewes with broken or gummy mouths! But I'm getting them cheap and they are purebreds! The white girl is only an F4, BUT she's joined to a pure ram, so the lambs I get from her and the old girls will all be purebreds. Not sure yet whether I will sell the lambs or keep them or eat them. I'm thinking if I get a nice ram lamb I might keep him to put over my 'normal' sheep. Wether lambs i'll eat yum yum. Ewe lambs I dont know whether I will just sell them as breeders or keep them on ... I guess depending on the condition of the old girls I might keep daughters to replace them ... or keep a purebred daughter and replace the F4 white ewe ... or maybe just sell/eat all babies and keep the old girls on.

Dont mind me, I'm just musing ...

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

It OK keren ...we all have the sickness....LOL :greengrin: :wink:

6. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA

Nope I do not. I do nto ahve goat fevor I am totaly imune to baby goats. Nope nope Nope *hides all the goats she owns and all her plans for breeding* I do not have the goat bug I am imune to it and never will catch that.

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

LOL I was totally confused! I thought, goats did not have tails that long LOL. Beautiful sheep!! :greengrin:

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

so do you think my mum would notice if there were three extra goats and their kids here?

9. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Nah, Keren, Mum will never notice.

Just like my husband never noticed how our three cats grew into a herd (flock, er, gaggle?) :wink:

BTW, beautiful sheep. I do love the tails. Congrats. :clap:

Anna

Note to anyone who might be worried: all our cats have been spayed and neutered. We just happen to be the free food spot of the neighborhood.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Interesting fact - these sheep can get waddles like goats :shocked:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

really....... :shocked: :shocked: that is interesting.... :wink:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Yep. I really dont like waddles so I told the dairy girls if their babies had waddles I'm taking them off at birth ... so I guess I will have to tell the sheep the same thing.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yea.....can't blame ya.... :wink:

14. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

aww I love waddles!!!

LW

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

you can keep em weevil. In fact, I'll send them to you, airmail, after I cut em off, if you like :wink:

seriously, I have no logical reason why I dont like waddles, I just dont. I know its petty of me.

But you gotta admit, waddles on sheep is freaky!

16. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

yeah I've never heard of waddles on sheep! Incidentally, what breed are these sheep?

LW

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

They are damara sheep, they originate from South Africa. They are 'hair sheep' so basically they dont grow any wool, the wooly ones you see in these pictures are crossbreds, F3s and F4s mainly, so they grow a little bit of wool and shed it. Which means no shearing (yay!). They are also a type of fat tail sheep, so they store their fat in their tail which means a very lean carcase.

No shearing, no tail docking, no mulesing. Very low maintenance, and they are pretty!

One downside that seems to stick out to me is they dont often twin - hopefully I can improve that - and as you can see they are quite fine boned and not as muscled as the other shedding/hair meat breeds like the dorper etc. So I'm hoping I can work on that too.

I'm picking them up tomorrow (happy dance!) [​IMG] Now I just gotta convince my mum ... like you guys say, its easier to ask forgiveness than permission :oops:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: I couldnt help myself either - I'm getting them tomorrow!

that is so nice to have easy maintenance animals..... :dance:

so true.. :wink:

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ

*laughs*

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, I went out there today fully intending to buy two ewes - the white one and a geriatric (the geri's were going cheap).

I came home with ............................................. 4 ewes!

I got:

The white girl - 5 yr old F4
    A dark chocolate brown with a couple splashes of white on her - 8 yrs old PURE
    A light brown with patches of white and patches of roan - 6 yr old F4
    A really flashy light brown and white patched and spotted - 2 yr old F4

They should all lamb anytime from now till 6 weeks. Although the 2 yr old ewe is possibly not bred. They are bred to a pure ram and all the babies will be pure. Basically the only colour I dont have in them is black, hopefully I might get some black babies, and for the next lambing I might lease a black and white ram.

I will have to try and take pics tomorrow, cos I need name suggestions! I wouldnt mind a theme if anyone has any ideas ... I have none. They are pretty wild after not having seen humans for months on end ... so I need to get busy to tame them down!