I did my goats blood draw today, mostly successful.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bheila, May 9, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I had 3 goats I had to draw blood from today.

First was Pepper. The first time I hit the vein then of coarse just when I start pulling the blood out she moves and the needle comes out :angry: The second time I hit nothing. Third times a charm and I get all I need :thumbup:

Next is Chester. The first time I don't hit anything. Second time I hit the vein :thumbup:

Last is Daisy. There must have been a reason I chose her to go last. I didn't get anything until the third try and even then I only got 1cc. She has so much more loose skin on her neck then the other goats that made it more difficult. Even when I pulled the skin tight I couldn't hit her vein. Her vein kept blowing out. I even tried on the other side of her neck. I finally gave up. I couldn't bare to put her through anymore :( Of coarse when we were done she acted like nothing happened but her neck looks terrible because of all the blowouts.

I'll give her a month or so to heal and try again. I don't know what else I can do to get blood out of her. Any tips? I know I already asked you guys before. The other goats veins didn't blow out like hers. Why would hers blow out so bad :?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    did you keep the 1ml from daisy? send it in, they can do a test on 1ml.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I threw it in the garbage but I can get it back out. I put everything in separate bags and put the caps on the syringes. I was going to have her tested for CAE/CL and TB. Do you think that's enough blood. I suppose it's worth a try. I really don't even want to stick her again.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I think they can do testing with a very small amount of blood (correct me if i'm wrong!!). If you dont want to stick her- just send that blood in.

question--if ya dont mind! :)
    I didnt think TB was a problem in goats, most people look for CAE, CL and Johnes.>?

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It was suggested to me to have my does tested for TB because I'm going to milk them. Better to be safe then sorry.
    I got the syringe out of the garbage and put it in a tube. It was of coarse already clotted. I hope that doesn't affect anything. O'well, it's worth a try. Thanks for suggesting it. I figured if I didn't get the full 3cc then I shouldn't send it in.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it needs to clot

you dont test TB with blood ;) thats done via the vet

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The TB test can be run through blood (serology) on goats through WADDL, and yes 1 ml could possibly be enough to run the tests, but they will not know till they spin the blood down and find out how much serum is there. Different animals have different percentages of serum per cc of blood. What WADDL says about testing caprine for TB is:

Toxoplasmosis (IHA, Ag Animal) 4.00 6.00 ($4 in state, $6 out of state)

Now, when I was just on the WADDL website there is a test batch called a "Biosecurity Screen" and I just emailed them to get some more information on it, as it has it listed in the "more information" part, but not on the regular fee schedule. This batch consists of CAE/OPP, Johnes, Brucella, and CL. I am sure hoping that this "package" is about the same price as doing the 3 seperate (CL, CAE, and Johnes) as I will be doing this yearly.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Allison-You'd think that there would be some sort of price cut doing the Biosecurity Screen. Let me us know what they say when they get back to you. They were fairly fast answering questions when I had them.
    I sure hope for Daisy's sake she has a lot of serum in that 1 cc :pray:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will definately let you know. It would be nice - even if it is a couple dollars more to add on the extra tests just cause I am so funny about all my blood testing! LOL!

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I know the State of Ohio is a TB free State as well as NY though but MI isn't though, yep and I agree the vet has to do the TB test but we don't do the TB test.

11. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    I always clip the area really short and if I cannot occlude the vein with the head in a natural forward position sometimes it helps to move the head to the side or more upward. The worst goats to find a vein on are usually the fat ones but it can be done.

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Thankfully that 1cc I got from Daisy was enough to test her for CAE/CL, Johnes and to see if she was pregnant. All the goats were negative. I'm glad I don't have to draw blood for another year :roll: