The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first got goats, I swore I would NEVER own a buck. However, with it being such a hassle to take multiple does to another farm to be bred, and for health concern reasons, I retained 2 lovely bucklings from this years kids to be my herd sires. I am a horse gal, but horses and goats are not the same at all, and I was a bit worried about my ability to raise up 2 bucks to be good citizens. I won't lie, they both got a couple whoopings each at different times, but that has been months ago now. They lead well, they are respectful, they are generally cooperative and overall easy to handle. They are 6 months old now, have covered 2 does each (2 of mine and 2 outside does) and I can't deny it, I love those 2 little stinker heads! Tonight its super cold out, and when I went to feed them dinner, they were both cuddled up in their beds with their heads tucked in. I spent time with each of them, and they were being so sweet, all warm and cozy in their beds. I think they are pretty good looking bucks too. I know its kind of silly, everyone else I know thinks they are gross and doesnt get what there is to like about them, but I knew you guys would get what I am saying lol.

Salt, harassing the does. I havnt finished fencing off the bucks pasture yet, so I let them out every few days to run the property for an hour or 2. Of course they always end up down at the does gate LOL.

Mace

· 4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
962 Posts
Aw, such cute bucks, guys! I love their colorings! I want a buck but its a matter of what time do we have to set up a buck pen and convincing my grandfather. We have a pregnant Nigerian doe now and she was bred to a polled, blue-eyed buck. If she has any blue-eyed polled kids, we may keep them. If it is a blue-eyed polled buckling, we'll keep him until next year when our 4-month-old Nigerian doelings are ready to be bred, breed them, and then sell the buckling. Sadly, at the moment, we just don't have the room or time. Meanwhile, I just look at other people's bucks :greengrin: lol

· Registered
43 Posts
I can relate! My husband once brought home a sweet little Nubian buck from a farm, he was struggling really bad and didn't really seem to have much of a chance. He was my first goat, and I really new nothing at that time. With some help from the Internet I kept him alive. I loved that guy! I had him for three years, recently I went out to do morning chores and found he had died during the night, I couldn't figure out why. He appeared perfectly fine the night before. But he was my "baby" and the most mild mannered goat I had.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
I love my bucks, too. I have really liked each of them that I have had, and the two i have now just delight me in a multitude of ways. My big guy Buckthorne is a complete gentleman in every way. Stoli, I won't lie, is a complete snot. He gets aggressive and pushy when he is in rut and tries to threaten me. But he is a half-sized goat and when he gets nasty I just pull his feet out from under him, dump him on his side, and sit on him until he stops being such a *****.

· Registered
12,823 Posts
I can't imagine letting go of my two bucks ! This is my first rut and my first time using them . But i love my Archie to pieces and couldn't imagine not having him here and seeing his sweet face everyday and that includes my Scouty boy too :) They are such a pair , I love them so much ! Selling them is out of the question right now , I wouldn't even consider it ! Not my boys !

· Registered
582 Posts
I love all 4 of our boys.... Our senior bucks are my favs and wont be goin anywere. Same with our nubian buck... I love him to pieces. Our fourth one, i like him but he will have to go soon for some new bloodlines in the herd. But overall i love my stinky boys. ❤

Attachments

· Registered
228 Posts
I adore my bucks! I only have 2 goats, both bucks. I raised them from 8 weeks old, they are 2.5 now. They stink, their habits are disgusting, and the yellow stains on them make them look gross. BUT they are my baby boys and they are with me for life.
They are both super sweet. Sullivan (Sully) is very mellow and gentle. He loves scritches and when I use the shedding blade on him. Jacob (Jakey) is a little firecracker. He is very naughty and nosy, but he is also pretty gentle. Neither of them have ever butted me out of meanness, just when we were playing. And they don't do it now anymore since it started not being cute when they had 80 lbs. of force behind them.
I am getting at least 2 does in the near future which they will love. They have been practicing breeding with each other... :doh:

· Registered
228 Posts
My bucks always end up being my favorite I always hate needing to switch them out.
I plan to sale all the kids this spring just do I can keep the same buck an extra year. He's so pretty and sweet
I need him! He's so purdy!

354 Posts
I love my boys!!! I never thought I would, but they are sooo sweet even though they stink!

Attachments

· 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,703 Posts
Yayy, a buck appreciation thread! I always knew I'd take good care of any boys I had, but I didn't know how much I'd LOVE them. Every bit as precious as the does to me. Super stinky, can be rowdy, but with a firm and gentle hand they all turned out to be wonderful goatie citizens. It is my plan, if they throw good udders, to never let any of these boys go. I love them too much.

Attachments

· Registered
1,332 Posts
What a cool color that Nubian has....he's a dappled calico :)
Thanks his color and marking are still changing I think he will mature mostly black and white the brown keeps fading away.

Adonis fist pic is at 3 days old last pic is about 5 months. And still his color is changing
Eye Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Fence

Lycaon pictus Organism Adaptation Terrestrial animal Dog breed

Lycaon pictus Grass Dog breed Fawn Natural landscape

Working animal Terrestrial animal Dog breed Snout Livestock

Dog breed Carnivore Fence Terrestrial animal Snout

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Symmetry

This is king Aragorn our current herd sire
I call him a tri color dapple.
So far his kids all have his great color.
Vehicle Sky Plant Hood Automotive lighting

Plant Working animal Fawn Tree Goat-antelope

King Aragorn's first daughter.
More coming any day now
Goat Liver Fawn Goat-antelope Pack animal

Attachments

· Yes Dear Goat Farm
1,242 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my little pygmy Gruffy. But he's young still, he only weights about 36 pounds and stands 16 inches at the wither, so his stink isn't too bad. Which is a good thing, since he MUST be right in the middle of any projects that are going on!

Working animal Goat Dog breed Snout Livestock

Eye Fawn Terrestrial animal Working animal Grass

Attachments

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Here's my guy. I bought him last year because my younger buck hadn't got the hang of things yet. Unfortunately that guy ended up passing away, so this is my only buck now. So glad I didn't sell him! I really like him, even if he's a bit pushy right now because he's running with the does. Planning to keep a few daughters from him before I trade up (hopefully for a Kiko.)

Here's some of his kids from this year. Only downsize - he threw ALL boys! That better change this year! :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.