The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a baby goat born this morning and the mom acts like it isn’t even there. She is a first time mom and we locked her up on her own knowing she was due any day. This morning when I came out to take care of the goats she wasn’t standing by the baby she acted as if nothing had happened. When I first saw the baby I thought it was dead, I walked over and checked on it and it was breathing and managed to stand up. The mom still had no interest in it and it wasn’t cleaned. She isn’t mean towards it she just acts like she doesn’t care. It’s up and moving and has wagged it’s tail some. Not knowing if it had eaten we have offered it a bottle and it won’t take it. The mom could be tending to it when we aren’t around but we haven’t seen her do anything with it other than slightly lick it when we were holding it. Any tips on knowing if the baby is getting everything it needs would be greatly appreciated!
Dog breed Working animal Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock

·
Fair-Haven
4,927 Posts
Baby looks hunched, so I would think she is not nursing. Take her temp snd make sure she is warm enough - 101.5-103.5. She cannot digest milk if she is too cold ( and this is VERY bad for her). Get an accurate weight. Make sure moms teats are not plugged snd that there is a steady stream of milk. Baby needs colostrum, preferably within the first 12 hours. If the doe won’t allow her to nurse, milk her give it to the kid in a bottle. Tummy should feel firm after eating, not sunken or poochy. If your doe is a FF , sometimes we need to reach them how to be a good mom. Baby should eat every 2-3 hours for the first few days. Weigh her daily to make sure she is gaining.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Definitely need to get food in her. If her temp is good...and teats clear...I would let mom smell babies bum..then set baby to the teat and get her nursing.. then once she nurses..lift her back to mom to smell her bum. If baby just can't get the hang of nursing..do milk mom and bottle her..then continue working in getting her to latch
As mentioned..feed until baby tummy is firm. But not too poochy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have gotten her to attach to the mom but we have to hold the mom in place. The mom doesn’t seem bothered by her nursing but runs away if she isn’t being held like she is scared of the baby. It still won’t take a bottle.

·
Fair-Haven
4,927 Posts
It can be difficult to get a baby to take the first bottle. I cover the eyes, make sure mom's milk is nice and warm, sometimes put a little honey on the nipple. You may have to work at it. Either way, get baby nursing or bottle every few hours to keep up his/her temp. It's going to be tiring, but very important. Sometimes if you keep working with the doe, she will get the hang of it. Let her smell baby before and after so she is getting the clue that the little one belongs to her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the response! After holding her for a few minutes I locked her and the baby up and walked away. I turned around and at first she ran away from the baby but she finally got the hang of it and is now allowing the baby to nurse!!!! We are going to keep a very close eye on the both of them the next few days. Thank you again!

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Good job...happy dance!!

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
8,495 Posts
The baby's poop will be sticky- especially the black meconium (first few poops), you need to keep her bottom clean. If the
poop sticks to her, it will prevent her from pooping. Aw, the joys of being a goat owner!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts