The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My big boy Jolly Rancher here is unfortunately for sale, as he is too closely related to my does. He is 3 or 4 years old, a kinder, and registered. Not sure if its with adga or kgba. (Side question: can kinder goats be registered with adga?) But I am new to breeding and have never sold anything but babies. Can anyone tell me what would probably be a reasonable price to sell him at? I assume not a lot because I personally dont have his papers. The ranch I bought him from didnt have them either, because they never got around to transferring him to her name. So his original breeder has them. I hate to see him go! He is so kind and such a great producer! I have his daughter, granddaughter, and my two new babies are his too. (And possibly another daughter if his..I was never told who her dad is). I havent even had him for a year yet. But sadly he has to go! If anyone knows anything, let me know asap!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Unless you have his registration in your name and in your hands, you can't consider him registered.

ADGA only registers dairy goats so he must have been registered with another registry.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
He looks to be a big boy. At the sale large mature bucks like him sell for a minimum of $200 so maybe.....depending on how soon you want him gone start at $300. Like Karen said no papers no big bucks. There are people who don't care about papers. I have soldto many people like that but the still want to see that he is what you say he is and as old aas you say. Then they just simply never go threw with the paper work like I'm sure happened with this guy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No he isnt tattooed. Should I wait to sell him to see if I could get his papers? If I did would the breeder still have to transfer to lady I bought him from? Or would there be a way it could go straight over to me? Im not very desperate to sell him. Im scared to put him on cl in fear that someone will eat him. Cause he really is a big guy!

·
Registered
666 Posts
How much are you asking for him? If it's a couple hundred no one is going to spend a lot o money on him just to eat him. I think he's cute:)

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I sell some of my unregistered for more than registered...for me its not about the papers...I have papers because they came with them lol..He is a handsome buck...friendly and sweet is a quality! How does his daughters fair? udder structure? teats?
On him..Is he an easy keeper? meaning does he have to be wormed all the time..hooves need extra care? these can cut his worth...
I had a semi wild Boar nubian cross doe, she was solid white, polled, No papers, never really tamed up, no matter how we managed her...but she sold for good money because she never had to be wormed..EVER! (although she did get wormed before breeding her as our practice) she had great blood line..and she was polled..her hooves needed trimmed maybe once a year..I kick myself for selling her lol..
I read a true account about how a lady who raised boer wethers for 4H decided she wanted to help out the kids and priced her boys for $50. She didnt sell a one lol...in asking the 4H group why they thought that was, the answer they gave was that her price was too low..they were afraid they we'rent any good!! lol..the next year she priced starting at $150 and up..and sold every one..
Price him for what you feel he is worth...decide if you want to be flexable in advance..price him well enough and he wont be purchased to eat : )

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Price him over 200 and he likely wont be eaten.

He looks to be a pretty thick boy so you could easily market him for commercial meat or hobby herds. I would price him a little higher than what I would take because people will try to get you to come down. Most meat buyers I know wont pay more than 175 for a goat. And usually they want young bucks, not older ones. I always prices goat 50-100 dollars more than what I will take for them. That way the buyer has some wiggle room and feels like they get a good deal (Learned that from some of my uncles who are in sale ;)) I think 300 would be a fair price on him so long as his hardiness checks out

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes if you don't want him ate price higher then market. As dani said price him higher as well that way you do have room to drop. You can get a idea after meeting the people if its meat they have on their mind and you can drop the price if it seems to be a good home. I my self would rather my animals go to butcher after the last batch of goats I sold. At least that way I know there is no suffering in what's left of their life :(
As for papers if you can get them and you find a buyer I would just have them transfer it into their name. You would have to pay and wait for the papers to get to you before you can pass them on. Also if you had the papers it would keep the butcher people at bay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts