The Goat Spot Forum banner

I don't know how to describe this illness. Vet hasn't seen it around here.

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't know how to describe this other than take a video of it. In a 2 day period (less than 48 hours), one of my pets took a nose dive off the shallow end. All labwork came back nothing abnormal, strictly neurological. Same pasture for 2 years, same herd mates. No-one's aggressive, although they do play hard sometimes. Living in NC, we didn't have any sudden imported plants that would do some sort of harm like this ~ and the possibilites of animals are there. We're country, and an acre and a half pasture that borders a fast, wide creek they do drink out of. No other goats show ANY sign of sickness or odd behavior. Buddy grinds, grinds, grinds his teeth. He seems to have curled up into a fetal position in a way when he lays down, everything curves to his right side. I feel so sorry for him and know he's in pain. He's had a steroid shot this morning (Thursday) and the thyamine(?) in case it's a vitamin deficiency. Prediction was it should help within a few hours, but it hasn't. Our vet hasn't seen anything like it and can't describe it other than a reaction to something he's ingested. Has anyone else came across this? One case out of a million and a million miles apart is a possiblity, I know. That's NOT a goiter on his neck. It's his neck severly twisted to the right, which he can't straighten up. Or hold his head up. He does have a great desire to eat and graze, though. Here's the link:

#2 ·
Well, listeriosis and polio come to mind. LIsteriosis is bad this year with all the rains. High dosages of penn G every 8 hours, a lot of thiamin and dex for swelling. Polio is treated pretty much the same way. I can't get he video to load, but any time there is circling or twisting back of the head you can suspect one of those two things.

#3 ·
Those are the shots he had this morning. No improvement, though they did say it should be within a few hours. The vet also said the Polio is very rare around here (???) but the listo is treated about the same as for the Polio. I'd try anything. He's not getting any better, only the same and possibly worse. He will stand and graze once you stand him up. Here's the link to the video. Just add the www in front of it (it keeps trying to add another box and I didn't want to)

#4 ·
Poor baby!!!:(:( I agree with either polio or listeriosis......I don't know the treatment but tennesseemeatgoats.com has information on these. Hope he gets better.......:hug:

#5 ·
It looks to me like he injured himself somehow. He doesn't want to put any pressure on that right front, and I would assume he is turning his head that way because it hurts to hold it straight. Did your vet give him any banamine? Have you taken a temperature? If I remember right, if they have listeriosis they usually have a fever.

That really looks like an injured goat to me, but the vit b/thiamin won't hurt either way.

#6 ·
I have never had this, but am just throwing it out there, maybe someone who has seen or had this can say yes or no. I dont know what its called but whit tail deer put off a worm that I guess goes to the brain and causes neurological issues. But if I were to just go out and see one of my goats like that I would say 'which one of these brats hurt you' it looks like just a bad leg, but if the vet said neurological....

#8 ·
I passed the video along to a few other long time breeders and the only thing any of us can think of that has already been suspected is a spin/neck injury. I know it would be spendy but an ex ray would be very interesting. tetanus was also suggested which would normally need some sort of wound or scratch to get into the goat but there is grass tetanus that is contracted through the eating of fast growing grass.

#9 ·
Poor thing :( I agree, really looks like an inury to me... I would do an x-ray to start.. Hope we can figure out what's wrong so he can get better :hug:

#10 ·
It's not any kind of injury. All his limbs and joints are still mobile and he doesn't cry out in any kind of pain. My husband saw him just fall over and either had a short seizure or was trying to get up by the time he got to him. He helped him back up and the next morning he was back on the ground with the others neighing 'round him calling for help (yes, they do this). When we took him to the vet, he was staggering. A few hours later, his entire right side (what's causing the crooked neck) is weak. He walks but wobbly when you stand up. When he tries to lay down, he circles first then drops the left side down-which side he always lays on. No fever, heart rate normal, no bloat or runs, (neck will straighten out when gently forced, but he cries out). It's definitely neuro, but what-we don't know. He's fully aware when we're around, he still follows us around if he's up, comes to our voices, has a good appetite and drinks. It's almost like symptoms of a stroke or some parasitic host that's gone to the brain. He's had a b-complex shot earlier.

#12 ·
I would be aggressively treating for polio... 1 B complex injection won't provide the Thiamine needed to help... and if it was B Complex, his size indicates that he would need a minimum of 8ccs to get the thiamine level needed to show improvement.

IF you can get straight thiamine now, dose him every 6 hours until symptoms improve, the Dexamethasone reccomended will helkp with brain inflammation.

IF ALL you have is the B Complex, please use a high dose now of a minimum of 8cc's but I would personally go to 12cc, split into two injection sites and give it every 6 hours.

#13 ·
I have never had this, but am just throwing it out there, maybe someone who has seen or had this can say yes or no. I dont know what its called but whit tail deer put off a worm that I guess goes to the brain and causes neurological issues. But if I were to just go out and see one of my goats like that I would say 'which one of these brats hurt you' it looks like just a bad leg, but if the vet said neurological....
You are thinking of the meningeal worm........tennesseemeatgoats.com has a good description of symptoms and treatment...

#14 ·
Meningeal worm starts with problems/weakness in the back legs and works its way forward.

Well, I am thinking dexamethasone certainly wont hurt anything, I would give it for 5 days at treatment levels and then back down on it, Then the Procain G(penn G) for infection either from listeriosis, polio or an injury plus If you are giving dex. which lowers the immune system you need to give an antitiotic anyway. I would do Penn G shots every 8 hours at high dosages for at least a couple days and then back down from there for another 5 days. Then lots of B-complex and thiamin, can not over dose on it, couldn't hurt.
banamine for pain
That would be my plan, I might throw in a antitoxin shot for Tetnus at the beginning to rule that out.
and then hope for the best.
after 2 or 3 days he may need hydration with IV fluids or drenching/feeding syringes and some food for energy.

#15 ·
Reading about listeriosis, one article (medical) describes paralysis, usually with the face and ears, inability to eat, anorectic, drooling and even depressed. This doesn't sound like Buddy at all. His ears perk straight up, he neighs (it sounds strange, but I think it's neuro related), has a good appetite, no drooling and is eager to get up and nose around. I let our puppy in with him tonight and he got up on his own and followed him around. He hasn't changed (still crooked neck, wobbly legs and drunken stagger-his pupils are huge, but he seems to see things), but tomorrow I think I'm going the route of an antibiotic and thyamine. Will keep you posted!

#16 ·
Are you passing on any info form these suggestions to your vet or trying to research them. We need an update on what you are trying so we can start to rule things out. So please start listing everything you have done / given him. Dont assume its nero when so many things can present with symptoms that mimic. Still sounds like tetanus to me.

#17 ·
I would be aggressive in treating for listeriosis . With a bad case it take time to see recovery. Tenneaseemathoats has dose amounts for the pen g he needs along with thiamine and supportive treatment . banamine is needed to help with brain swelling and pain . Keeping his fed and hydrated is very important . Best wishes

#18 ·
I agree with Cathy, he needs to be treated hard and fast for the listeriosis. It is not something that is a shot or two and stop. It is a very around the clock treatment until you see improvement.

#20 ·
As was mentioned, if he were my goat and I wanted to save him, I would treat aggressively for Listeria and polio and make sure I gave him a steroid (I use dexamethasone) for brain or spinal swelling and any other inflammation.

Large doses of pennicillin and Vit B complex/Thiamine

#23 ·
We hospitalized Buddy Friday with the vet who has been treating him for listeriosis with antibiotics, thyamine and fluids. He's made no improvement and today, the vet suggested the most humane thing to do would be to have him put to sleep; he's only gotten worse. All the other goats are fine.

#25 ·
Im so sorry...:( its been a hard year for many fighting this same issue..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.