I don't need another horse...

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Maggie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    ... or do I? :D I really need to stop looking at the auction horses, I see something I want every week. Last week I almost bought a bred donkey, but waited too long and missed her. This week there are a couple nice looking walking horses, I love the thick boned walkers like this.... hopefully someone else buys them before I get a chance to call lol. Oh and of course there is ANOTHER bred donkey in the pen this week too....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KarmakeeFarm

KarmakeeFarm New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    tee hee hee--lucky you to have the space and the funds!!
    An yes you do!!!! <need another horse>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

3. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I don't really have the space.... but could make the space lol. I probably won't get another horse, I don't ride my mule enough as it is. But is is soo tempting to have a nice walker for the trail!

4. KarmakeeFarm

KarmakeeFarm New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Sheesh-I gave my horse away for that reason too-now she gets ridden and give sleigh rides to little kids that adore her-I really miss my mini mule-she was awesome......

5. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I'd ride a lot more if my mule wasn't such a... well a mule lol. She is horribly attached to my husband's gelding so not very easy(or enjoyable!!) for me to ride alone.
    I wish I could go ride those two guys to see if they would work out.
    I was thinking of taking a look at an older ranch gelding this weekend if he is still available, been eyeing him for weeks now.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    LOL Oh I do the same thing....especially at our local shelter. I just want to take them all home and feed them!!!! The poor things just look sad. UGH and then the really sweet ones that just follow you around begging to go home with you...those are the WORST!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is so tempting I know. ;)

8. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    The chestnut found himself a home, so I don't have to worry about him tempting me anymore.... but then I saw this gal, a 20ish year old mare... I am REALLY a sucker for the old horses that run through the sale ring!
    [​IMG]

9. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Add her to my want list lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    Well you can always buy a mini donkey and just send her to me lol..

11. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Lol sounds like a good deal for you!

12. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    i know hehe..

13. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    The bay mare is coming home with me tomorrow :p

14. DDFN

DDFN Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    East TN
    Is she really? Congrats if so!!!

I remember when I actually had bought one horse too many and had to add on a stallion stall to the barn years and years ago. This was before I had the hubby and well hummm I had to sweet talk my dad to help me add on to the old barn I had on family land. . . Then after he helped and I said "Wonderful now I can bring him home!" My dad looked shocked as he thought the addition was a new foaling stall!!!!! :D

Best wishes! and remember there is always room for "One" more!!! Right?

15. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Yes she really is, I guess she is a late birthday present to myself ;). She'll have to stay down in the barnyard my herself for a bit for quarantine, then I guess I need to figure out where to put her! We used to have 12 horse stalls in the two barns we have until I ripped them all for the goats, now we just have 3 for the 3 horses here. I might have to take back some of the space from the goats!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  16. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    She looks a lot darker outside without the flash. They did say she is tattooed but they couldn't read the whole number, it would be nice to figure out who she is and how old she actually is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Her notes from the volunters at the sale:
    This girl was my pick of the week. In the pen on Wednesday she was extremely quiet, patient, polite and has a really kind ...eye. She seemed to really enjoy attention and spent several minutes quietly cuddling with me. After watching this mare go through the ring Monica described her as a "machine" and I couldn't agree more. She is a lovely mover with a nice, floaty trot, she reins around, canters right off and quietly went over a small rail, snapping her knees up in perfect form. She is just a nice, willing and honest mare who would probably pack around just about anyone you put on her. Although her coggins lists her as 12+ she is a 22 year old...but don't let that stop you. Age is just a number and this girl is in great shape & likely has many, many good years left ahead of her

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  17. DDFN

DDFN Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    East TN
    She is beautiful!!! She kind of reminds me of Nancy's Basket a mare we use to have at the farm I use to manage many years ago. I know it's not her but she just brought her to mind. Congrats! I am sure the goats wouldn't mind sharing some space after QT.

Oh I had a 20+ blind walking horse stud that I rescued and he was one of the best horses I ever had. I think when he finally passed away that he was around 27+ maybe even 30 age was rough to tell on him.

Old horses will love you every minute of the day and then some ;)

18. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I hope she is as nice as nice as they say she it. I woke up early this morning thinking oh no what have I done! Lol. Now that I look at her pictures again I feel better about it. It will be so nice to just take a relaxing ride. Even just to groom her and her fuss over her will be nice. My mule usually hates it she stands there with her ears back and her nostrils all wrinkled up, lol she is such a groutch. We have a 25 year old gelding we keep her, he is my mother in laws. He just now started to show his age pretty bad this year, but is spunky as ever. He is usually the one tearing off across the field all the time, not our younger guys!
    If I can't figure out who she actually is from her tattoo I was thinking of calling her Sedona. I might change my mind once I actually see her. I browsed the local classifieds for hours last night trying to find a for sale ad for her thinking maybe someone tried to find her a home before sending her to auction, but no luck.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  19. DDFN

DDFN Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    East TN
    Love the name! I think she will be as nice if not nicer! Can most or part of her tattoo be made out? If so what parts? If you can send me how much of it that can be read I can ask a friend or even her friend (big TB people) and they may be able to find out who she was.

If there is a part you can't read put what is readable then put like a * where you can't read it so we can get a better idea.

Hope she does well for you. She is a good looker ;)

20. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013