I don't normally do this...

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, May 7, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    But wanted to share with everyone!

If you read Sports Illustrated, I had a pic published in the May 3rd issue! I believe it's page 9-10 of the horse and rider.

I love to photograph horses, my favorite hobby and in the past year it's become a part time job. I mostly do thoroughbreds - racing at our local track where I am credentialed, and the local sales. This is considered the horse capitol of the world, so lots of options. April is a busy month for me for our local racemeet - no Kentucky Derby this year, but I am okay with that. I did the Rolex Three Day Event at the Kentucky Horse Park at the end of April, and that was just as exciting as the Derby! Well at least I think so. It was just so much fun. I'd never worked an event like that before, nor do I know anything about horse shows. I've always had an interest in watching the jumping though.

The pic published in Sports Illustrated is one in a series I took. A horse and rider fell at one of the jumps, and the horses rear end landed on the guys head/neck! He happened to be one of the leading riders in Europe. I've had things published overseas when I used to do some work for a publication over there, but this was my BIG breakout here in the US, and those pics ended up all over the world.

THANKFULLY horse and rider were okay - rider had lots of fractures, but he was released the next morning and returned home to recuperate.
    I would not have been so happy with my pics being published everywhere had they been seriously injured.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I am pretty much on idle until the July yearling sale, so I'll probably end up pestering our does to no end with my camera until then...LOL

Here is a link to my 'horse' pics if anyone is interested...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/collections/

If you go to the Rolex Cross Country here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/collections/

Scroll down to the third row of sequence photos and look for Ashland Cruise Master and Oliver Townend2.1 The first pic is the one in sports illustrated.
    He was wearing an inflated vest <works like an air bag when rider seperates from the horse>, and he's positive he didn't get hurt worse thanks to the vest.
    I still have CHILLS every time I think about looking at these pics...

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cant find the Ashland cruise master and oliver townend2.1 pic you are talking about but they are great pictures :)

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks sarah I didnt see that

wow so glad horse and rider were ok

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How scary.....glad they are OK ...it looks like ...it really hurt.... :shocked:

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your comments. And Pam I agree it definitely looked like it hurt - and it did. The rider was LUCKY. He's lucky he only ended up with a concussion and fractures. I have been watching horse racing and photographing at our local track and never seen anything as scary as that! <not including what I've seen on tv>. THere was something up with that fence/jump the last 40 minutes of the competition, because he was the last of 3 horses to fall over that fence, and one other one I noticed nearly fell too! They all hit the jump the same way - couldn't get their left leg over the log.
    But those horses are brave, and I admire that. If they were scared they wouldn't be doing it, if they didn't love to jump I'd think they wouldn't be on a cross country course. It's amazing how athletic and well mannered they are.

I still have thousands of pictures I haven't gone through on my computer...it's sad really. I need to get them organized.

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    When Steve Reeves got injured jumping it changed the way i ride forever. I now do not take chances like i used to. Nice photography... keep it up !!!

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Steve Reeves???? You mean Christopher Reeves, aka Superman?

10. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Wow! How exciting to have your photos picked up like that!!! :thumb:

Glad everyone was okay.

-Tina

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much, and yep I am so thankful everyone was okay. There is nothing like seeing a horse or rider get hurt.

I feel kinda sad, I packed my cameras away tonight. I am done pretty much until mid July when I do a yearling horse sale. I do it for myself even if I am not working for anyone. You never know who might come out of the sale and thats what makes it so fun. Plus I just love going and seeing all those beautiful yearlings.
    I use 2 cameras, and plan to keep my favorite camera put away unless it's something really important. I would love to be able to upgrade my main camera in the near future, but it just depends on how much I get paid for the stuff I've done in April. Now it's the waiting game....fun...haha

I would love to find some local area horse shows though, or even goat shows! I'd love to learn how to photograph goats. Guess I better buy some knee pads though LOL!