I don't think she going to wait

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Jan 21, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I don't think Tilly is going to wait until her guesstimated due date of 2/25. Her previous owner said he saw her breed at the end of Sept but I suspect it might have been a bit before that. Her udder has doubled in size over the last week and she has a dried creamy colored discharge on her vulva. I tried to take pictures of it but she was uncooperative. She was very receptive of face and belly shots, but she kept hiding her butt. I can almost completly wrap my fingers around her tail head, I am not good at feeling ligs since I don't know what they are supposed to feel like in a non pregnant goat. She is more hollowed out looking than she was last week. Whatcha think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    (Singing) I think you are getting babies soon :cool: :cool:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep...I believe you are getting babies soon to.....her soft ligs are really showing in the pics.... :greengrin:

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Babies soon! :leap:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thats what I was thinking toth. Hopefully she won't go tomorrow as I have to be in Little Rock ALL day. That will be a 3 hour drive each way. Probably won't be home until after dark. I didn't think she would go this soon so I don't have the kidding pen ready and if I lock her up in the goat house the others will be out in the cold at night. She also doesn't like being locked up in there. It happened one time when the door shut from the wind, the tie broke and the door closed. All she had to do was push the door back open as it swings easily. did she do that???? NOOOOOOOOOo, she tried to make a couple new doors in the walls. There is still a 1" gap in the back wall where she pushed it from its adjoining wall in the corner. I don't really have anywhere else to put her. I will be able to build a 3 sided structure on Friday and Saturday. Maybe she will wait until then???? If shes read the goats code of honor, she won't.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow...I hope she can wait to... :hug: :pray: ..that is terrible you cannot lock her in .....could it be ...because she was all alone or does she do that even with the other goats in with her...?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think she'll give you a few days....and BTW, she is a pretty colored girl.

To give you an idea of ligs, you see where her tail bone sticks up? The "hollow" on either side of it has these hard pencil like tendons.....feel around in there...you will notice them , feel; the other little goaties ligs too so you'll know the difference between "there" and "not there"

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that's how star looks (except she probably had more kids) looks like yours may have a single?. but shes (star) being weird and kept me waiting.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I have never purposely locked her in there so I really don't know. She goes in willingly as long as the door is open. She likes to go in and stand there looking out of the door. I could try locking her in there with the little Saanen doe for company. IF that doesn't work and she will wait, I will use the 3 sided shed as a kidding pen. I have enough fencing left over for a small pen where she can walk around a bit. I need to pick up a few more bales of bedding. Speaking of.... which would be better, straw bales are $3 and the pine shavings horse bedding are $5/bale. I can get straw bales on Friday morning or I can get the Pine shavings tomorrow at TSC. The feed store will be closed before I get back and not open when I leave. I don't think Mom is going to let me put straw bales in her caddy.

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

This is the doe who bled for 3 weeks in what I thought was an abortion. I have since been told that it MAY have been stones or an infection??? She never acted like she was in pain or any discomfort and never received any antibiotics for infection. I don't know what to think about the bleeding. Tilly is a FF bred to a SA Boer.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I have them I use shavings with "wasted" hay on top.

I think her udder will be getting ALOT bigger...she may surprise you with that.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Right now her udder looks like a large flabby balloon( slightly deflated), last week it was the size of a softball. Its enlarging really fast but I don't know how big first fresheners get. I am starting to get antsy. I will finish filling my kidding box tomorrow while in Little Rock. Need to pick up a few more towels from the 2nd hand shops since the indoor babies are using the ones I had for this purpose. Its a good thing my mentor is not going anywhere soon so he will be around to help me if I need it. Hes only a phone call and a 1/4 mile away. Luckily I get a cell phone signal in the goat yard. My house is a different story.

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I think she'll wait. She doesn't appear to have any udder in those pictures. She could be one of the ones who likes to lose the ligaments in advance. Good luck!

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She has an udder, I just couldn't get a picture of it. She wouldn't ket me get any closeup rear shots. In the one shot I got from behind her, I got it as she was walking away. I willsee if I can do better on Friday. I may have to redo the milk stand to get her on it but I will try.

15. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I think she will wait if she is any thing like the ones I have been waiting on all week. Due to a buck problem this time I have no Ideal when they are due. they started bagging in the beginning of Dec. their ligs have been gone for almost 2 weeks, and the started to have a bit of a clear discharge on Sunday. I have been doing butt checks every couple of hours and I have had them in the kidding stalls for a week and a half at night and in what I call the maternity ward paddock for a month . I can see it from the house .All the extra cleaning is the pits Waiting is no fun !!!!!
    Karen

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    This will be the first birth I have ever attended, other than my children and a few litters of puppies. Whats got me worried is that everything is NOT going according to my well laid plans :shocked: . I was intending to get antsy around the middle of next month, not now :shocked: I had planned on getting the kidding pen ready for next months delivery. Why can't my doe be one of those that can't read the code of honor. I am not ready!!! She can't go now. This doe has got me all messed up and she will probably be telling the other doe who's due in March to do the same thing.

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Tilly's udder is similar in proportional size as the one in this picture viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6570

Imagine putting just enough air in a large latex balloon to inflate the size but not blow it up. Thats what it looks like. Her teats have gotten much longer also. Last week they were really small, now they are probably 2" long.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say she will wait till Feb 20th

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Stacy, I am not optimistic but I sure hope your right. Please send "wait" thoughts to my doe. I am going to get new udder pictures on Friday. Do you think I can clip in this weather without compromising her health? I am not going to shave yet, just clip so it won't be as messy and easier to see in the pictures.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah clipping or cutting the hair wont hurt her - I have done that. makes for easier cleaning when the kidding is done too