I dont understand fainting goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Paige, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    When I first got into goats, I read that fainting goats were not a breed, but were really the victims of a genetic disorder called myotonia. I thought it was something i should try to stay away from, because they cant get away from dogs etc. as well as other goats. But now I see people breeding FOR fainting goats not against them. Is it just cause people get a good :slapfloor: out of seeing a goat fall over, or is there something great about fainter? What is up here? :whatgoat: Please help me understand all this. :help:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You heard the phrase.... escape goat?

Well.... that is where it came from...the fainters.... they were meant... to be the victim for ....other animals..... of a coyote attack or mountain lion attack ect....which is so cruel.... :( ...... that gave ....the other animals... time to escape..... while the poor fainting goat was attacked..... Now ... they are not used in the matter much anymore....instead...they are great ...meat goats...with cute personalities.....and well loved... by their breeders...there is nothing wrong with them............... I am glad things changed....... if people are still doing that method...shame on them.... I say..... :(

They are fun to watch... it is so amazing.... how they freeze up and just fall over.... I love watching that....as well..... :wink: :laugh:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They are a great meat producer - when they faint - it actually contracts the muscles and makes higher meat to bone ration. Also they are not as big as boers - so for me - easier to handle! And they are so stinking cute!!