I feel like I'm posting here everyday. (Picture added)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Jul 1, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    OK. I gave vitamin A+D to a couple of my goats and it has made their shoulders swell A LOT! One looks really bad. Any had this happen? What did you do?

oh and I always use clean needles and clean the tops off the injectables before I draw from them. So I don't think it's infection.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: I feel like I'm posting here everyday.

oh thats weird! I have never given A+D so I dont know but maybe an alergic reaction of some kind??

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

yeah, anna's leg is really bad so I ended up giving her dex and banamine

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

what is the A & D for?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

wow ..I have never had that happen before....Stacey may be right though ...Allergic reaction.... :shrug:

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Really wierd!

I think I usually give A&D IM
    But I have given it before SQ with no problems..

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

The dex and banamine hasn't done much for her so far. Now I have another limping. I threw out the bottle and I probably wont ever give the stupid stuff again. I am so ANGRY right now! :hair: :veryangry:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Ashley, I'm so sorry you and your goaties are going thru this :hug:

I hope they are better soon :pray:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

weird. I give A, D & E injectable and the bottle says STRICTLY IM, DONOT give SQ.

is the swelling just at the injection site, or has it spread?

Maybe irritation from getting it at the wrong site to what is specified? I mean SQ instead of IM, or vice versa?

Maybe irritation from slicing the muscle if the goat moved a bit?

Maybe a problem with the product formulation?

I'm grasping at straws here ...

What I would do is call the manufacturer and ask them if anyone has reported this problem before, and if they knew why it was happening ...

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I gave it SQ over the shoulder. It's happened to several of the goats now. I've used this same bottle before without issues... don't know why there are issues now. :hair:

I asked another breeder in MA about it and she gives it SQ too...

The swelling is below the injection site. It's more like edema. Almost like she has a breast. LOL sorry thats the only way to describe it.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Here is a picture I just took when I was down the barn. Keep in mind this is about 1/3 of what is was this morning:
    [​IMG]

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    again, weird. I know what you mean about the breast though - I've seen a doe come up with something like that (a friend's herd - I have my suspicions it was a CL abcess - pretty crude but she ended up nicknamed Queen Boob) but under obviously different circumstances.

Is it getting smaller by itself, or did you drain it? If its taking care of itself, I'd be inclined to just leave it be, but I'd be throwing the bottle away. Also be contacting the manufacturer.

Is the bottle out of date? Has it been exposed to sunlight or warmth? Just throwing out random ideas here ...

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No, I've stored the bottle just as it say's to on the bottle and the expiration date is next year.

This isn't an abcess. It's edema. I gave her Dexamethasone and Banamine which seems to be taking down the swelling. I was afraid of her looseing circulation in her leg because of how swollen it was. Thats why I gave her the meds.

The others have not swollen up as much so I haven't medicated them.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is anna this morning? any better?

15. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    I wouldn't be too concerned. This occurs in horses commonly, too. It's just a mild site reaction with edema, which naturally will pool to a lower part of the body.

I would alternate hot and cold compresses, maybe apply some liniment. It should be gone within a week's time. Don't be surprised if the fluid travels back to the midline of the belly...it will eventually reabsorb.

Given that it happened to both goats, I would toss the bottle and buy a fresh one. Something must have degraded to cause the reaction...

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am suspicious of the bottle to.. :worried: ...I wouldn't use it again...either.....

If the meds are helping...and the swelling is going down... she should be be Ok.....feel her leg once in a while and make sure her leg is warm.....that means ...she has good circulation.....if it becomes cold ...then...there is big... reason for concern..... :hug:

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thankfully the swelling has gone way down. Looks like everyone is just about over it. I already threw out the bottle. Not going to take another chance.

18. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    How are your goats? :scratch:

Suellen

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    CAn't blame ya.....I am glad ........they are doing better....... :hug:

20. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Curious - do you feel your goats are deficient in these vitamins? Haven't really heard a lot about giving A&D.
    I sure hope they recover fine.