The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I milk my doe in the morning, but still feed her on the milk stand in the pm because she eats slow and my other two does are hogs. So usually while she is eating, I get the chickens and ducks locked up and feed the pigs. So I was going through my evening routine last night when my husband decided to give the human kids a riding lesson. So as I am passing the outdoor ring, my daughter yells for me to come watch. Then I watch my son and head up with them to give baths and bedtime. I get ready to sit down and suddenly it hits me.......I never took the doe off the milk stand! :mecry: I rush down to the barn and there she is in the dark on the milk stand acting like nothing happened. She must've been up there over an hour. She never made a peep. I feel so awful, I even cried about it. Please tell me I am not the worst person ever.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Everybody makes mistakes! Just last night I was out putting all the animals away for the night with our families two little poodles. As I opened to go inside I left it open for the dogs and saw mine go in. Before I saw the other something grabbed my attention and i shut the door figuring she had come in while I wasn't looking. An half an hour later I heard scratching on the door, looked and saw a little white poodle standing on the deck in the dark. I felt soo bad for her, but I really thought she was right behind me and my dog going in..

Stuff happens.. And we never mean for it to. At least your goat was safe :) I'm sure she forgave you. Animals love regardless of the dumb human mistakes we all make.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The yforget sooo fast...we did blood draws and injections on all our this weekend ...they yell and fight to get free, but as soon as they do, they turn around for neck scritchens...Nothing happened to her and she already moved on ;)

·
8,177 Posts
Goats are pretty resilient! I once forgot to untie a doe from the morning feeding- fortunately, she could reach the water and hay- but she was mighty
mad at me for a day, then forgave me! She was the herd queen, very bossy, so the other goats had a bossless day!
Usually, if something is out of the ordinary, someone maaas and lets me know. Not a peep from 14 goats! They actually were happily chewing
their cud and watching her!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Now that is funny! :slapfloor: :slapfloor: They knew they were having an easy day, and here comes Mom to ruin it. :p

SassyKat, I've done far worse things over the years. I have a pen that is actually 2 pens with a gate between them - one pen has shelter, the other one does not. I ran the goats into the non-shelter pen so I could do some sorting, got sidetracked and forgot to open the gate when I was done. A thunderstorm came up, and it just poured. When I remembered what I had done, I went running out to open the gate and the girls were huddled up against the gate, soaked and madder than wet hens (maybe I should say wet goats?)! It took several days before they would let me anywhere near them, let alone scratch their ears or pet them. :(

·
Certified Codger
418 Posts
I leave my milking doe on the stand eating while I do other chores, but I unlock her head so she can get down when she finishes eating. When I finish changing their water, checking the garden, etc. I go back and take the food pan and fold the milking stand. That's when I let the other doe into the shed, and she finishes up whatever food her sister didn't eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts