I feel so bad for my neighbor...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Feb 11, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    My neighbor, who is also my goat mentor and close friend, breeds boer goats. Well right now she has 4 bottle babies running around the garage, well last night her husband went to pull out of the garage on the golf cart and ran over one of the bottle babie. Unfortunatly, she also happened to be a really, really nice doe that was headed for the show ring.

Little SOS was bleeding from her mouth and nose so they had to put her down. Her poor husband was close to tears himself and felt really bad, but it was just a complete accident. He looked before he started to back out but when he released the brake, it scared her and she jumped right in his path. He did not have any time to react at all.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is horrible. HUGS to them.

4. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Oh I can't imagine how they feel :( But it was an accident so surely they won't blame themselves! I set up my garage for kidding including pens and a cover over the floor. But I'm not parking in there until kids are out for that very reason!

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Yes it was a accident but he still feels really bad about it, SOS was just 8 days old. They did not have any pens set up yet as it was a nice day and they put them in the garage to run around.

These babies were either rejects that the mother would not accept or they were not able to stand when born. SOS was a reject, the mother just would not take her.

6. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I totally understand. I only have pens set up because I have been whelping puppies for years and was all prepared! It's so good of them to take the "rejects" too.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh how sad.... I know exactly how he feels.

Last year I got (2) 6 month old doelings from WA.... paid a lot plus they were super sweet and quickly became favorites. I had unloaded hay from the truck... checked under the tires, got in the truck, honked the horn just to be sure nobody was there and pulled forward.... the back tire went right over my little Kissy's head. It killed her instantly. Apparently she walked over right when I got into the truck and I'm guessing that she fainted when I honked the horn. It was awful.... I cried for days. Oh and her sister is the doe that just died from cancer????? I guess I just wasn't meant to have those girls or their bloodlines.

Accidents happen.... it took me a long time to get over that...and it still takes me about 10 minutes of checking, rechecking and occasionally getting out the hose to be sure my does get the hint that the cars are not an area that is fun to be around.

9. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    That is so horrible to even think about! Give your neighbor a big hug!!

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    What a tragic accident to have to deal with. I bet he feels just terrible.

11. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    O thats horrible. so sorry to hear that :(

12. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    How sad. But it was a total accident and she would have died anyway if they hadn't brought her in. Years ago I worked for an Arabian horse breeder and there's about a million things that can go wrong between birth and a show ring. I remember one big deal, worth millions, that went south because one of the yearlings lost an eye. Hopefully they're not too hard on themselves about it.

Our reject bottle baby constantly runs under my feet and I worry about stepping on her. Plus when I open the gate to haul feed in the morning she'll sprint past me and go explore the driveway. I have to chase her around to get her back in the yard, which she thinks is big fun. They're really fast, they have coil springs for legs and can jet behind or under something in a blink.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry! Accidents happen and it is so hard to deal with when it's by your own hand. Big hugs to your neighbor, and to you for having the heart to help them through this.

14. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Hers are also constantly under foot, they are just so sweet and cute. But it does make walking hard in the garage - LOL.

Yes he does feel bad but as they have been doing this a long time and have lost several babies, he will bounce back ok. Once again it was just a tragic accident and a reminder that those babies can get away from you. He had looked for those babies before he backed out and he thought she was far enough away.

They are always there for me when I need help so it was the least I could do, besides they have become really close friends. I usually spend my evenings over at their house playing cards, helping with the babies, and trading gossip.

15. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh no, how awful. It's so hard when accidents like that happen. :(

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    How sad... I'm extremely careful for that reason. I would have pushed it out before I started it. Things with wheels scare me, to easy for somebody to get under foot. But guys often don't think about it when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I can imagine how bad he feels though. I almost accidently killed one of my birds last week. I didn't know for a couple of days if she was going to make it or not, or if she was going to get a secondary infection from her wound. I cried for days until I knew she was going to be ok.

17. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

So very sad. :(
    Give her a hug for me :hug:

my cat brought her kittens into our garage from the barn without us realizing it---and my dad ran over one and 2 of them were up in the engine. :cry: The one place animals do NOT belong is the garage.