The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like i always have something going on with my herd.
yesterday my small gold doeling(born mayish) had her tail down but followed everyone and ate like normal. today she is laying in the shelter and not with the rest eating hay.but she did call to me to let me know she was there.the temp out side is normal for this year, raining.

i brought her some hay but she didn't even look at it. i got her up and she is in heat but doesnt look like she has any soft stool. she was given vit b complex, toltrazuril just in case, priobiotics, and nutridrench. her eye lids looked pink. no discharge from nose or eyes, didnt hear any rough breathing. I am hoping i can get someone to take her temp for me since im not there now. she is on a deworming schedule for possible lung worms and her third dose is due today,tomorrow and the following day but not sure if i should give it to her.

she is very small. but was small when i brought her home at 8 weeks. she probably weighs 30 pounds or so. but is always eating and usually has a very large rumen.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im really hoping they checked wrong because they said 98. i think they didn't put the thermometer far enough. she was not cold to the touch this morning and wasn't shivering and her mouth wasnt cold when i checked her gums.
its probably mid 50s today and raining but she was dry this morning.
she is in a stall with her buddy now.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
she checked again 98. i told her to get warm towels for her. i dont know what happened. she was just acting a bit off yesterday but was eating and walking fine. she isnt walking on her own, just wants to lay down.

she doesn't think she will make it long. :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
any help/suggestions would be appreciated... thank you . im bringing her in the house when i get home. she has warm towels on her now. but the lady said she isnt really there anymore. like for a minute she knows your there then she doesn't. she said she is drooling too but she did get some syringe warm molasses water

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Was she bloated at all? I lost a doe this summer. Her rumen shut down - hence the low temp. She was drooling, but I did not recognize that as a neurological sign until it was too late.

Of course now, my mind is blank. I still have PTSD from losing Lola.

OK, Your doe needs 2 things: She needs her rumen to get back online and she needs thiamine to battle the neurological problems that are starting.

If I were you, I'd get a vet ASAP. Make sure they know she's drooling. And that her rumen has shut down. I am praying...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you. i think the doeling is dying. i am still at work and cant leave yet. she said she put warm bottles by the doeling and a towel, i talked her into putting doeling in a bag in a bath, but she said doeling is getting stiff and not lifting her head anymore plusthe goat is really heavy for her so im not sure if she can carry the goat that far.... so its probably too late. doeling just didnt look that bad this morning, but i couldn't miss work anyway. any ideas why her rumen shut down? she did say she looks bloated now.this really stinks.... goats are so sensitive.... im so sad

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Oh geez, that's not good...
I'd give Dark flat beer asap, vitamin b complex, probios, a heating pad and warm blankets.
I'd also get a vet involved
I hope she pulls through

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
local vet doesnt know anymore then i do about goats. i took my last doeling to him this summer. she had probiotics this morning and vit b complex. i can get beer on my way home if she is still alive. i doubt a light beer would work? she is a sweet girl.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Flat DARK beer not light ...you can put it in a bowl and warm it in a microwave to help flatten it. Get as much carbonation out as you can. Drench 4-6 ounces every 6 hours, It'll help get the rumen going again. Give large doses of vitamin b complex every 4-6 hours. If it seems like polio or listeriosis treat with pen g every 6 hours too.
Do it around the clock.
Here's an article
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.comlisteriosis.html

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave her tolt this morning. Just in case. She was getting dewormer for possible lung worm. Last dose was due today.i couldn’t get dark beer tonight stores are closed. But I will give b complex and try for beer tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,645 Posts
Oh Sorry she is in such bad shape. Can you listen to her lungs? Need to get that temp up. Gove a nice pinch of cayenne pepper and honey if you have it..put in her mouth, swipe it, drench it..how ever it is easiest for you

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
30,645 Posts
Do you have antibiotics on hand? If so, what do you have? or if not, what can you get tonight?

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
30,645 Posts
CDAntitoxin is important here..or a dose of Milk of Magnesia to help get rid of toxins that can build when rumen is sluggish. And another shot of B complex wont hurt.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts