I forget, how far away to keep bucks?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Dreamchaser, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I am thinking of getting a little bukling, but I forgot how far you have to keep them apart from the does. I want to keep a buck, but I want to have good milk too. X.X

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I kept my bucks right next to my does for over a year and it didn't make the milk taste off at all. I only moved them because I separated the Junior and Senior does and then bucks ended up going in the lower part of the barn.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    kind of depends on how stinky your boys are. I wouldnt let them share the same barn if I could help it.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep .......I agree with everyone..... :wink:

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I had three pens all right in a roa, sr. does and yearlings to the left babies in the middle and bucks off to the right. During breeding season i seperated my boys when they were breeding does, and i out one of the bucks in the kid pen. this worked well for knowing when they girls were in as well.
    I have never had an off flavor in milk.
    beth

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My boys are next to my girls...share a fenceline. Never had bucky tasting milk :wink:

8. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    My buck runs with my does and I don't have a problem with stinky tasting milk. I do milk separate from my buck though, either in the milk room our outside the barn (in my backyard since my barn doors open into our yard), depending on the weather. My buck does not get to be around when milking, stinky time of year or not.

The milk picks up smells really easy.