I gave my first injection tonight...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Aug 7, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was terrified LOL We were vaccinating 2 goats that were due, and one is our buck - we have only had him a few weeks, and he isn't people friendly <not mean, just doesn't like people to mess with him>. Well, obviously I wasn't going to hold him this time around since he's been manning his girls from our buckling <LOL>, so I told my husband I could give the injection. I was so nervous! But I got the needle under the skin, and got the shot in - he didn't even move. Then gave him oral wormer which he didn't seem to mind.

I never guessed my first injection experience would be the buck....LOL

I know if I ever have to give a shot I most certainly would, and I am learning the best places - what goes where. But I still prefer my husband to do it....haha...

Anyway, just had to share, especially since I've never given anything a shot before...ever. I am not scared of needles, but I don't want to hurt my goaties!

2. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Congratulations! I'm sure you did great!

3. newcreationdairyfarm

newcreationdairyfarm New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I just started doing the injections this year (CDT, BoSe, etc). Prior to that, my husband did them all. However, I do them under the front arm pit where all the loose skin is...I seem to have some that form a small bump there a few weeks after the injection...if you find this to be the case also, or if anyone knows how to NOT have a cyst like bump left behind, I'd love to know....

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap: Way to go!!!!!!

I hate giving injections and so does hubby....we are so bad that unless it is an emergency and we have no choice we pay our vet to come out and give them.....I know, I know, we are rediculous :)

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't do them myself unless I have to either. I've done it twice. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good for you too!

Jan

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to keep from getting a lump can be hard -- some goats are more prone to it depending on their skin type. Why? you ask - well because if you get it between the layers of skin instead of in the Subcutaneous layer which is just under the skin (thats what SQ stands for) then it bubbles up between the layers. But if you get the skin tented up enough and can get the needle right under the layers it doesnt usually bubble up and create that lump.

the Bar Vac vaccine is also more known to create bumps then the colorado serum

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats...what a great feeling... :clap: :leap: :stars:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Great info Stacey, thanks! I never checked if it caused a lump, but I felt nothing when I rubbed on him after getting the shot. He isn't friendly <not mean, but doesn't like people>, so we don't mess with him more than we have too - he's happy, we're happy...LOL

Why can't it all just be as easy as taking it all orally...LOL I know it can't but wishful thinking right?