The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying we have called the vet and are waiting for a call back. So this post is for the pure fun of wild guesses.

We acquired a beautiful lamancha back in early June. She arrived with a slight udder formation but there was little chance of pregnancy as she'd been separated from the bucks at her other place.

As she began to gain weight we didn't think much of it as she'd switched diets from grain to forage. The udder has continued to get larger but not incredibly so. It's soft and dangly. Unfortunately she'd be dead by now if it had been mastitis. She is lively and content and not in distress. Very healthy rumen!

She did however begin to exhibit some behaviors and appearances that seemed like possible pregnancy, meaning she would have been bred via the through the fence method ;) Including:

--Standing with front feet on logs a lot
--Dreamy eyed
--Rubbing and pressing up on everything
--Yawning

This week she had me 99% convinced she was getting ready to drop some kids. All of a sudden she started cooing urgently. Digging to create a nest. Stretching her low back out all day. Snot looking stuff under her tail. (Just a little but it happened a couple weeks ago and this week, 2 days in a row.) Yesterday she started acting bucky, play fighting with my other girl and cooing and licking the faces of my whethers.

Today she is just normal. Nothing under the tail. Just chewing cud and not talking or playing.

So what gives? Was this recent display just heat? Or is she following the Doe Code to a Tee?

If she'd been bred basically a week or two prior to her coming here, technically she still has until Halloween before reaching the 155 day mark.

Look forward to your responses!

Super Moderator
Could have been false pregnancy. I had a doe last August do this and we watched her close when she seemed to be in labor. She did have a cloud burst pregnancy which means she delivered an empty water sack. Rear was wet and the next day she was back to her normal self.
Other idea is the heat cycle. This can for some Does make them act odd. Have some discharge.
The udder (which my doe had as well) can mean she has a hormone issue or precocious.
udder.
Lol..ok there are my guesses 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could have been false pregnancy. I had a doe last August do this and we watched her close when she seemed to be in labor. She did have a cloud burst pregnancy which means she delivered an empty water sack. Rear was wet and the next day she was back to her normal self.
Other idea is the heat cycle. This can for some Does make them act odd. Have some discharge.
The udder (which my doe had as well) can mean she has a hormone issue or precocious.
udder.
Lol..ok there are my guesses 馃榿
Well quick update for you: the vet just called back and he thinks it's pseudo pregnancy as well. He's coming out Monday to do an ultrasound. He said with the clover this year getting distressed by a lot of rain it causes estrogen production in the clover! Which causes an uptick in the false pregnancies he's seen. Well we'll know Monday for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, sadly there are no babies in there 馃槶 He said we could milk her once or twice just to relieve the udder a bit. Otherwise he didn't recommend anything for her. Any thoughts or opinions here? We want to get a buck out here in a couple of weeks to go about this purposefully. If we get them bred we would have this one (Greta, the lamancha who has had reliable twins in the past) and Georgia, who would be our first freshener. Georgia is half LM / half Boer.
Vertebrate Branch Organism Mammal Natural material
Vertebrate Mammal Goat Fawn Goat-antelope

Super Moderator
Both are pretty girls..
Unless the udder is uncomfortably tight or lumpy, Hot and or red (showing Infectiin) I would leave it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts