I got a buck but....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatnutty, May 13, 2008.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He got out and bred my 3 does.2 of them are boer does but they are only 5 months old.1 of them is a pygmy.They will be do Oct.8 or 9.What should I do he is a full grown boer goat.He's NOT small.Will the does be o.k.?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, my personal opinion. I would Lutalyce (sp) them. I would NOT let those does carry the babies. I know people do not like that word, but when you have a buck on your property you have to be ready for the unexpected.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Were they all in standing heat? If not then I would wait to see a heat in the next few days....if they were then I'd say that the boers should be ok delivering at 10 months old....the pygmy though...I will pray that she comes into heat as a boer kid would cause problems, it's a wait and see and IF the pygmy does not come into heat in the next 3 weeks I would consult with a vet. as he would probably advise terminating the pygmy and possibly the 5 month olds as well....accidents happen...and I have had oops kids ...thats why they are called "accidents"

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    S***!The bucks gone! :cry: :cry: I don't know what to do.He broke his chain and got through the fence again. :cry:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I worry about the pygmy... is she 5 months like the rest?

just because he got out and tried to breed them doesn't mean they were in standing heat. SO you need to check and watch for signs of heat.

consulting with a vet would be a good idea at this point

now what do you mean by gone? like he is disapeared or you got rid of him?

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I' mean that he broke the chain he was on,got out of the fence,& ran away. :cry:

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Oh and the pygmy is 2 years old.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you best go find him. Can't have a buck loose - he could get hurt.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My dad looked for three hours and then quit.I can't leave I'm babysitting and making dinner.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well I hope you can find him before he does any damage or anything happens to him...and the pygmy being 2 years old is still not good with a full size buck, I would still find a vet to see what he would advise...in the pygmies case termination.

11. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i know people do not like to lutye there does but if they where mine i would. if the buck was little & the doe the big breed that would be one thing. but i would worry about that little pygmy trying to have a full size boer baby. it is better to abort than to lose the doe also.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    10 days from now I would lute the pygmy doe just in case, but the other two should be fine. Were they in standing heat?

I hope you find your buck.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Are there any other goats in the area? If so, I would check there.
    And I agree with the pygmy doe- that may cause a problem for her. If the other two does are reasonably big, they will probably be ok.
    And I think you best be as thorough as you can be about finding that buck- if he hurts someone, you might be responsible and for any damage he does. Do you have some friends who can search for you? He might come home to "his" does too.
    And finally- he sounds really difficult for your situation- maybe he should find another home?

14. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    If it were me I would lute all 3. The pygmy because she is a pygmy and you dont want her being bred to a big buck and the boers because they are only 5 months old. That is just too young no matter what breed of goat it is or how big they are. they aren't physically or mentally mature enough to handle kids.

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Did you find that buck? How's it going?

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We didn't find him. :cry: I don't know what to do.I can't sleep until I know he's safe but we have searched for 4 hours and are going to continue.We thought he would come home at night but he was only here 1 day.Any suggestions? :cry: I'm making a sign to put up but I don't have any pictures.

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope he comes back safe and hope that if someone finds him they place an ad....and really hoping those little does come into heat soon!

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks Liz,I hope so too.How far can a goat travel?He wouldn't try to go back to where he came from would he?

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    One of the meat processors here lost a wether last year- they chased it for a couple of weeks- it went into a school class room, the police tried to catch it, etc. Never did, never found anything more about it. A buck???
    If it was a horse, I would say for sure that it would head to it's old home- a goat???

He sounds pretty hard to contain. I think it might hang around any herd of does anywhere near.

20. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Re: I got a buck but....now he's gone

I would say he went to some other goat farm nearby but I don't know of any really except for 15-20 miles away.His old home is like 30-45 minutes away.