I got a BUCK!-Tragedy and a littlesomething called Happiness

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, May 11, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I GOT A BUCK!!!!!!!!!! Well, he is reserved untill he is weaned. Lets start from scratch. Yesterday we went to the OVDGA Show. The one judge was a jerk!!!!!!!! I took my little alpine doe in there. Our friends had two does in there too. So three does in the class. The judge examined each goat, and told me I was first!! We go to the line up. At the last second, he says he changed his mind and put me in second!!! :cry: He also made weird faces, hardly explaned the places, was rude and sarcastic, said my goat had poo crusted all over her butt, which she didn't, in showmanship[poultry showmanship is my thing :) ], and took a VERY long time. The other judge was cool though. I got last in showmanship, and did so-so in the other classes. The show was long!! The entries were supposed to close at 7:45 AM. I woke up at 4:45, left at 6, and got there at 8:30. :cry: It was a much longer drive than we expected. The judges were late, so they continued to let people in till like 9. So anyway, there was a lot of goats there. Like 100 or more, which is huge to me. Well they had a buck raffle. Your choice between two outstanding nubian bucklings. We wanted the SPLASHED one!! We put $20 worth of tickets in there, and because no one wants another buck, we had most of the tickets in there. Well we lost it. :cry: But, we really didn't have a place to put one anyway. When we were there, our friends with alpines, had a ADORABLE SUPER NICE SPOTTED alpine buckling there. They were asking $300 from us. We were thinking about it, but that is alot of money. We didn't get home till 8:30 that night. Well, this morning, we sat down and talked goats. We decided, after a while, we wanted that buck. We have a nice place for one. It is away from our does. It has a steep hill to climb on, some pasture, some trees, lots of enrichment. We are going to fence it in and such. We truely need an alpine buck more than a nubian one. We only have one purebred nubian doe, and she has CAE. But we have 3 Alpine does, Breeze [the expensive one that is from the same place as this buck], Hannah [Our small and stocky doe, but she is very wide and deep, but she has mastitis], and Heidi [Hannah's wonderul 6 week old kid, she is the coolest.] So our new buck boasts bloodlines of Willow Run Jasmine, the udder queen, and Irish Rose. Here he is:

Attached Files:

2. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Re: A buck, A buck, I got a BUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Cute. :) Is he from Strawberry Fields? Isn't your doe Breeze a daughter or grandaughter of Irish Rose? She's a really nice doe. :)

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio

He isn't from SF, but from a breeder around here that has a lot of their lines, their website is http://www.vonshap.com . My doe Breeze was going to be bred to a buck that was the son of Irish Rose, but she didn't take and they sold that buck. :cry: :( So now I will have my own buck. YAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :leap: :clap: :pray: :party: :sun: :dance: :balloons: :stars: :wahoo: :applaud: :thumbup: :slapfloor: :bday: :love: :cool: :horse: :) :greengrin: :wink: :thumb:

4. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio

Was it Ireland they sold? I was thinking about seeing if I could breed my doeling to him.. Oh well then I guess. I had a Nubian buck in mind to though,and there are some more breeders around.

Vonshap has some pretty goats :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

having your own buck will help you with those breeding issues.

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio

I think they sold Ireland. :? Yes, Stacy, that will help. We have drove with does in our van to get bred countless times. He is so cute too!! I love the markings. His granddam is Jasmine who was the Champion Milking Yearling Alpine in the 2006 Nationals. She is very nice. Not sure what to do about the Nubians though. I might just breed our doe Daisy to him.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Congratulations. He is sure cute.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

make more nupines :D

9. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio

Yes, I probably will!! I can't wait to get him. But I got like another 4-6 weeks to wait.

10. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio

I just have to save up the cash to put a deposit on him, but my chicken buisness has been great lately.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

congrats on the buck. he sure is flashy. I just saw a post on alpine talk that ireland is for sale.
    beth

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Congrats!!! He sure is a pretty guy :)

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Re: A buck, A buck, I got a BUCK!!!!!!!!!! Question!!!!!!!!!!

We are getting him next week, if his pen is ready. He will live with our wether. What questions should I ask the seller??
    Ashlyn

14. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio

We are getting him next week, if our pen is done. Him and our wether will have about a 50' by 50' pen and an 8'x8' barn. Should work well. Questions-What kind of questions should I ask the seller and what papers and such should I recieve from her? And he was born late April, when will he be ready to breed our 3 does? October?? Any name ideas??

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

well he might not be ready in October. Some bucks mature faster then others but dairy bucks tend to need more time.

Well your parents should be involved in the transaction and I am sure they will be asking questions.

But other then finding out when he was last wormed adn if he was vaccinated I personaly don't provide much else to the buyers as there isnt much else to tell.

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Well, you'll want to get the registration (if he's registered?) of course. And any pedigree information you may need. That's really all I can think to ask for. Do they have pics of his sire/dam, you may want those, and any milking records she has would be nice.

He's very flashy! Congrats, this is going to make your breeding chores alot easier. But, my Cashmere buckling wasn't ready to breed my does the first year (he was born in May). I had to lease a buck (I subsequently bought him too). My Nigerian buckling was ready from "day one" I think, we made him wait till day 365 though... :ROFL: Sounds like you have the perfect place for him too. Good luck!

17. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio

Ok, I will try to feed him well to get him ready, he will be a big boy. The last time I saw him was when he was 2 weeks old, and he was as big as mine when they were a month old. Our friends had to feed thier buck 3 pounds a day to get him ready. If he isn't ready, that will mean at least $175 in breeding fees for our 3 does, which is a lot. He is registered. I can't wait!! His barn is all done. And painted red. It has a large raised wood sleeping area, and I just have to build the 2 head key hole hay feeder with my jigsaw. No, my mom probably won't be asking very many questions, except how to make a good buck and will he throw splashed kids. :greengrin: And my dad, who won't be there, would ask: Will he make us any money and would he throw meaty kids?? HEHE. Yeah right. I will see if she has milk records, she should. And what does make a well mannered buck? I have seen a very mean one, and one that is a complete gentleman.
    Ashlyn

18. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Re: A buck, A buck, I got a BUCK!-He's injured-I need major help

Yes you read that right. Ok, we were supposed to get him June 26. We called June 25 to arrange the time, etc. Well, she said that he escaped out his pen when he was being weaned and got back with his momma and so he isn't weaned yet, in doing so he injured his leg [or she thinks ''snake bite''] and is limping, and she just gave him a shot, so she wants to see how he acts. What!! I am not so mad at her because he is hurt, but why in the heck didn't she tell us!!! We paid a $150 [half] for his deposit, so althought that means we don't own him, I feel she is obligated to tell us. And I am sort of mad she didn't have an excape proof area, and the vaccine????? We could have done that at his proper age, 3 months. We aren't idiots. So we just called Wednesday, and she says he is still limping, but is weaned, and that we can check him out Sunday. Arggggg. You know, I have been waiting 2 months now. I only saw a baby pic of him and I got to see him at the show May 10, but I never even got to tough him. I want my bucky. BUT, if he doesn't heal, we aren't taking him. If she makes him super discounted I might. Also, he has been limping for like 2 weeks now, should she have called a VET?! Or is that our choice? Who would pay? I personally want him looked at. What do we do legally? But I know one thing, we are NOT paying $300 for a lame buckling. Would you? I really want him, as his color and bloodline are stellar, and a good buck would be hard to fing around here at this time. Should I ask her to send pics via email? I am extremely frustrated and confused. I need help ASAP. Do I have any right to be mad at them?
    Ashlyn

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

How far away is this breeder? Close enough that you could have "visited" your buck at least a couple times before you brought him home?

I only ask because I encourage anyone who reserves a kid from me that they are welcome anytime to see and bond with their kids. Even though you have a deposit on him, he is still housed with the breeder, personally, if ANYTHING happens to any kid here that is reserved it is MY responsibility to get them the care they need and the "owner" is contacted as to the "what's, and why's" of the situation. The kids leave when healthy and weaned and only then...and the "owner" is given the option of getting their deposit back if they change their mind. I've not been dishonest ever with a buyer and never will be...it's just not good ethics!

20. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Well, to be fair...everyone is going to have their goats get out at some point, I know you have more than once. As to his injury, I think she did the right thing, he is still in her possession and you have not paid in full yet either.

I would pay $300 for a lame buckling, sure, if he can still breed. Heck, if the buck has really good lines, I would pay $700+ for him. He is still a valuable asset to a herd even lame, he is the one improving your does.

Maybe a small price reduction would be in order if he does turn out to be permanently lame. Or she could sell him to someone else and refund you your money.