I got a cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by CCCSAW, Jun 13, 2020.

1. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    So we have been sorta looking for a bottle baby meat calf that we could raise up. And by looking it wasn't anything serious just watching if something came up that would work for us. So today I caught a fb post for a 3w old Angus. I immediately texted the # with a few quick questions got the price and called the dude tp ask a few more. And a few hours later we picked up our first cow... of course I also had to run out and get milk replaced and a few things. But all is good.

I don't randomly bring home animals... I make my husband go pick them up.

So now I have a bottle baby, and he's so cute. We named him A1 20200613_164722.jpg 20200613_182945.jpg

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Congrats! Cows are a slippery slope like goats. Hahahaha!

MadHouse and CCCSAW like this.

3. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I've always like A1 steak sauce!

MadHouse and CCCSAW like this.
  4. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Thanks, lol. I don't have room for a ton of them just enough room for a few dinners..

MadHouse likes this.
  5. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Congrats, how large do you plan on growing him? Also do you plan on making a steer out of him before he gets too large ? Angus do make great steaks and hamburger.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    The guy we got him from banded him Thursday. My understanding is he picked him up as part of a group at auction but this one is too young for his current needs and plans. So he wanted to rehome him to someone willing and wanting to work with him. I'm not sure how large we will let him get but probably at least about 18months to 2 years or so. Is there a good butcher age you would recommend?

7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

There is something in NC about the 36 month mark for the butcher but i cannot remember what it is off the top of my nog right now. Our friend usually does his at 1200lbs. His are at that about 18 mos to two and are all grass fed.

CCCSAW likes this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California