The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say how wonderful you all are here and so helpful and smart! I want to Thank each and every one of you for sharing your vast knowledge with us. So..... THANK YOU 1 AND ALL!!!!:hugs:

I got my 1st NG yesterday,:stars: Her name was brownie, but to us it didn't sit us right so we promptly changed her name t Cocoa.:D She is about 4 1/2 months old and grew up not with lots of handling but around humans a lot. She had several family member's around that she grew up with. LOTS of half Bro.s and sisters.:hammer: Had Free access and roamed around Chicken, Ducks, gennies, quail, a HUGE hog and other goats and Sheep. Being able to do this, I didn't find out till after the deal was done, that she would on occasion wonder into the buck area. Here there are 2 Bucks 1 is her dad the other is not:doh: WHICH one it is they don't know for sure, but she has a lot of the traits of the dominate buck, but then also has some of the other buck.:confused:
Now she wouldn't accept there advances at all, from what we was 'TOLD" but I am wondering what are her chances of being prego actually are?? What can I look for right now to try & tell if she is or not? :shocked::sigh:

Also on the way home (it was about a 2 hour dr. due to bad weather) She was shaking terribly.:( Now I got her calmed down at about 3/4 the way home. But you could still see she look as if in a state of shock. Taken away from her family she has been around all her life. They normally fed an alfalfa grass mix or just grass BUT they ran out and hadn't gotten any so she had just been feeding them grain and alfalfa pellets. I couldn't get out of her WHAT kind of grain or how long she had been eating that way. I know she eats chicken scratch cause I was there and seen her eating out of everyones bowl including the ckickens scratch that was out. Although her poops looked fine at the time. I used the Famancha chart and she needs wormed badly. SOO my questions here are , what do I need to watch out for? Can I worm her now while her body is stressed out anyway or should I wait? How should I feed her. So far I have given her alfalfa grass mix hay abd she "nibbles" on it, I fed her alfalfa pellets and mixed in backing soda and some 4 n1 and a small handful of boss plus some vitamin powder. It came up to be about 4 ups. She ate some vigureously at 1st when I gave it too her, but now she wont touch it at all and there still a lot left from yesterdays and its been a bit over 24 hrs:chin::GAAH: . We are in the middle of a snow storm, already got a foot, plus blowing snow and wind, her 1st winter as well, She wont drink, water froze so I take out very warm water for them to drink and she and everyone else refused to drink except my doe in milk, now she drank up. So what do I do to make the transition easier? Oh yeah she also said that while she was for the most part weaned naturally, she still got a lil nip in here and there ast times. So I know I have a doe under HIGH stress. What should I do for her at this point? :book::help::thankU::worried::wallbang:
Thanks so much and sorry about the LONG Novel but I love my girls~~~~

Laura

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's the way one of my does gets when I take her to a show & she's not in the cab.

Just to be sure, do they have a place to get out of the snow and wind?
She could be cold AND stressed.

I would put some red or orange Gatorade/powerade in their water.

Depending on the wormer you have, I would wait a day or so to see if she settles in. If she doesn't by later this morning then if worm her anyway, just don't stress getting the wormer in her unless she's REALLY pale.

As for the pregnancy thing, you can have father & daughter breed and be perfectly fine. I've had it happen and the baby was a big and healthy baby. :)
You just have to watch her "area" and see if it slowly gets swollen. You can bounce her but sometimes if there's only a single, you can't feel it all too well.
You can also watch her belly.
Maybe when she's **suppose** to be 3-4 months along, you can sit outside with her and just put your hand on her belly. Push in a little bit and feel around, might get some kicks(;
If you're that worried about it, you can give her lute.... Now I've never used that so I'll leave that to someone else ;)

Hope that helps!!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
And I forgot, if you give her some treats like dried bananas or apples, she might warm up to you and realize it's ok:)
Maybe go sit out with her and put a blanket/jacket on her for a bit, she might like it:)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
High stress will increase a worm load so you will want to worm her now. If you can do a fecal then you can tell what you need to worm for and make sure she doesn't have cocci.

Baking soda is a free choice kind of a thing and doesn't usually need to be mixed with their food unless you see that they're bloated.

Goats love the warm or even hot water when it's cold out. But, your water may smell/taste different than the water she's used to. So you can add ACV to the water to mask the new taste and get her to drink it. You can also give her Electrolytes. you don't want her to get dehydrated. Cathy (happybleats) has a great recipe for Electrolytes.

Probios is a good idea too.
B complex will give her more appetite but she could still just be stressed out from the move so maybe just another day or 2 she will settle in and be just fine without needing that. She's got a lot to adjust to.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
good advice given. if she is prego cant be very far along watch her for heat the next three weeks. but being so young i dont know if she has been in heat yet, but with your weather she could have come in heat in the last week.

·
1,524 Posts
Baking soda should be given free choice, as mentioned. Along with aiding digestion and such, it is a salt. If you mix it with the feed, they will eat less of their minerals (which they need more than feed) and it can make them not want to eat their feed if their bodies don't need salt.

As mentioned, stress makes the worms more active, so the sooner you find out what worms she ahs and you kill them the better. Also you don't want her speading new worms to your other goats.

If it were me, I'd

check for type of worms and get the chemical that targets those worms

Start her on a good, balanced concentrate

Feed her alfalfa hay (if your lucky enough to have some) or alfalfa pellets

Give her Vit B complex to help keep her rumen functioning while she is stressed and changing to new feeds. It will also stimulate her appetite.

When winter comes up here, I do give warmed water to them several times a day to make sure they keep hydrated. It may take her a while to get used to the water being warm. As mentioned, you can add Gatorade, ACV, Koolade or other stuff to make it tasty. Stuff like that will also keep the water liquid longer than just plain water.

As was also mentioned, a father/daughter breeding does not always mean it's bad. I have had several close family breedings and they all came out great. There could be issues if she was then bred back to her sire/grandsire though.

At 4 1/2 months for a Nigerian, yes, she could be bred. Those little boogers are fertile at a much younger age than the standard size. You can wait and see, or you can even have a blood test done for pregnancy if you really need to know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts