The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never thought I would get excited over a horse eating a cookie. Bear finely ate a horse cookie. Being a ex race horse/ex amish horse he did not really have a chance to be a horse or get treats. First time I let him out to in his pasture he rolled and rolled and rolled. Finely he starten to act like a horse. But since I got him I have been trying to give him treats for a job well done an he would take them and then spit them out not knowing what hey where. HE ATE ONE THEN ANOTHER THEN ANOTHER. He is eating horse cookies now. Now I have away to reward him for a job well done. I still got a lot of work to do with him but he I worth it.

First Picture is the one from the rescue I got to see what he looks like.
Next one is the day I got him home.
Next 4 is about 2 weeks after I owned him.
The last ones are about only a week old.
I do have more but they are on my phone

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
he looks like he is going to be a wonderful horse. am glad you got him to take treats it open a whole new door of possibilities when it comes to training!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep he is a standardbred. His reg name is Humphy Yogart. I think I will stick with Bear. I named him that because he is nothing but a teddy Bear. I do not think there is a mean bone in his body. He still has harness marks but they are faiding away. I fell in love with his head. Love those Roman noses and he has very large head. My bridle is at the end holes and it just fit him. I want to train him to go on trail rides with my goats and also maybe my dogs. Well more then likely my goats. Where I have him boarded there is a 6 hour trail that one day I hope he will be able to do. We are now up to a hour and a half work outs in the outdoor arena. First time I rode him was only about a half an hour. Been working him up slowly. Taken my time with him. He is my baby and I do not want to rush him or push him to hard. He is 21 years old and has a hard life up to now. Want to train him to be a western pleasure horse. I like the slow stuff. I am getting to old for barrels things like that. Maybe talk a friend of mine into doing a pariad soon with him. Show him off a bit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a look at his eyes in the first picture and then look at his eyes in the last ones. I had to take hm caue his eyes where so sad in that one and now there is a sparkle to them and he smiles now. His ears are up and he responds to Bear. He trots up to me and is happy to see his mommy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awwww.... I've heard that you get horses from the Amish and they stare at you like " Oh dear whats gonna happen now?" They have very little respect for animals. He is a good looking Standie though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. You should have seen his feet. I learned how to trim feet and when we went to take off his shoes it took us over a hour to get off one shoe and the other one took about the same time. There was such thick calouse on his feet we had to call in a special fairer. Now he has good feet. Going to take a couple of trimmings before they are going to be great. I kept his shoes and going to put them in a shadow box with it saying in the box "The last pair of shoes Bear is ever going to wear". I am going all natural with him.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They use the horses like they we use a used car. I have seen they come to a auction and then park. Take the horse they drove up with and put it in the auction. Then turn around and get a new one at the auction and then hook it up to there buggy and take off home with the new one.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
He is gorgeous, he has such a kind face and eyes. I bet he will end up being the best horse you have ever had. thank you for saving him. I am sorry he was treated so roughly beforehand, poor boy I can see raw hide there on his hip in that first pic.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Aww he is a adorable! He sure does look like he loves you a lot to me. :D My baby was a rescue too and i look back at all the old pics and he had that "sad look" too. He looks very happy and healthy now and the coat change is amazing haha.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I forgot to add that with all your hard work and love , you put the life and sparkle back into his heart and eyes . You should be very proud of yourself MaeMae :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you look he has put on about 100 pounds and is a pig. He throws a fit if we are late with his grain. Going tomorrow for a trail ride with friends with him. He started playing catch me if you can. I just turn and walk away and he comes me saying sorry Mommy don't be mad. WHo can be mad at him. I put a carrot in my pocket and he sniff it until I get it out. Due to arritist in my hip I have to use a mounting block and he stands there and is pacent with me as I mount. I am wanting to work with him until he is like my other horse I had. Where I do not even need a lead for him. Going to take a little time but I think he is going to be great at that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, yes, yes! I love to hear of people going natural (barefoot)! I pulled my mares shoes almost a year and a half ago. Now mind you this was a horse who "needed" shoes and was practically born with them. She did great and we have never looked back. Even though some horses have hard time growing hoof I am convinced it is the best way to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts