The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm sitting at my computer desk typing away on another forum (have eggs in my incubator...my first time ever...was asking for advice), and my stepdad (who lives with us along with my mom) says from the den "Becca, you have a visitor at the door!". So I go to the patio doors, and low and behold, Butterscotch...my 7 1/2 month Boer cross doeling...has her nose pressed on the glass with a look on her face that said "Yo! Mom! Lemme in!"

I checked the fence to the enclosure she was in with her sister. The ONLY way she could have gotten out is to have jumped the fence. It's 4 foot high...how in the world??

Then, the next day, I put them in their only other browsing enclosure, thinking I must have missed something...there's no way that little goat could have jumped that high ( :lol: ). Next thing I know, she's walking around my yard! :scratch:

I put her back in, checked THAT fence, and realized that little goat DID jump the fence. There is no way she could have gotten out of either enclosure unless she jumped.

When I went to let them out to lock them up for the night, she saw me coming...and I WATCHED her jump at the gate...she almost cleared it...had she been jumping straight, she would have. But she was coming sideways and missed. Now I don't know what to do. Everyone here says not to tie them out. But I can't have an escaping goat...we have predators here, we are not far from the road, and there are poisonous plants in the yard (the only one still green is the azalea bush I think).

What in the world am I supposed to do now???

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
I would add another layer of wire, chicken wire, bob wire, goat wire, doesnt matter..tie some color yarn on it in several places so she sees theres a new fence...Jumping the fence is so dangerous...for the many reasons you stated but also she can miss and get hung up...Saddly once they find they can do it...they dont stop...so extra hieght is your best bet....it doesnt havet o be expensive wire...or that strong...just something there making the fence taller...she may try once or twice..feel it out, see if she can make it...so you will need to keep a watch for a few days..

best wises

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
You can even fashion something out of hay string , anything that gives the visual of the fence being too high for her to clear it.
Yep , I can totally relate to this. My Tricky was a fence jumper until we added the cattle panel , now she doesn't even try it. Its too much effort for her to now. But , I do know she can clear it if she really wanted to.
Just make sure you tie something to the added part so she can see there is something there. If you add something like chicken wire and don't mark it with twice or hay string , she may not see it in time and get herself hung up badly or even break a leg.
Goo luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts