I had no clue.......

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by MissMM, May 9, 2008.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    ........ what I was getting into with this fiber goat stuff. Suggestions for getting the hay remnants out of the fleece I sheared last weekend? I used my fan-dancy new Circuit II blower to blow out their fleece 1st, but didn't want to blow too much or it would felt, so there's still a lot of gunk in it. I've started "picking" through it as suggested w/my horse mane comb & fingers, but there's got to be an easier way.

I gave up after about an hour & had barely 1/2 a bucket of de-vermined fleece.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

mmm

2. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I have heard it said that the way to keep your fleeces clean is to clean your pastures. And that it is best to try lightly grooming before you shear, as it is near impossible afterwards. Sucks I know. All I can find for hay is alfalfa orchard mix. The grass hays around here are just junk. and of course the alfalfa leaves all end up in the fleece. We used to use sawdust for bedding for the dairy goats, but with the fiber goats we have to use straw. We did find feeders that are designed for fiber animals and that helps till the dairy tub o lards stand on teh edge and pull out bits of hay all over the fuzz balls. ~

3. kellygreen

kellygreen New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Maryland
    Too Funny!! (the visual--not the fact it cost you so much work) :ROFL:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hate to tell you but you are gdoing the same thing I do. The fiber will not felt if you blow it. I do that all the time and I betthe end of the blower right doewn to the skin. It will not get it all out at all that is why I send my fiber out to Georga Mountain fiber to be cleaned and dehaired and dehayed.
    That is one reason Cashmere is so expensive. It is hard to clean.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hate to break it to you, but its damn near impossible.

key is to keep them clean before they are shorn. That means clean pastures, or if they are pen fed, keeping the hay off them. Which is easier said than done, I know, with my show angoras they dont get any 'hay' at all, they get chaff and lucerne cubes. No straw for bedding either - rubber mats and wooden pallets, sometimes thick blankets.

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I'll try using the blower closer to the skin b/4 I shear this spring & see if that helps. I think the biggest culprit is the massive hay rack: http://www.imageposter.com/uploads/get/51710

The hay falls on their backs as they're eating & stays there. When it's warmer, I'll try blocking off the top third to see if that helps.

7. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    WHEW! I thought it was just me - my boys are REALLY dirty - doesn't help that I am a hay buying neophyte and think I bought the dirtiest, dustiest hay possible! :doh:

I am going to look into sending mine in (when the time comes, this spring) -
    Does anyone know: a) approx cost, b) is it cheaper with more c) could we pool fiber and still get our own back?