I hate disbudding!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Jun 18, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So I did Sugar by myself today.... I put the iron on and she moved! So she has a much bigger burn mark than I would like. The other side looks perfect but the side i started on looks terrible. I finally finished and let her out. Then she had to go and scratch until she started bleeding from the one side that was already burnt bad... so back in the box to stop the bleeding. Poor thing! I really hate this! She slept in my lap for about an hour while I watch Dawn and Miracle for any signs of labor.. nothing. Poor Sugar would cry every once and a while and at first she was curling her lip, so I know it was hurting her. :tears: :sigh: That side is weeping pretty bad, but not from where the bud is, its more around the outsides of where I burned. So I am pretty sure I got the bud. I was afraid to give her any pain killers since she is so young.

I'm telling you disbudding traumatizes me more than the kid! :tears:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :hug:

It sure isnt' fun.

you can give her some asprin that will help with the pain.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, I just feel so evil for doing it! I wish there was another way. :sigh:

4. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    Aw poor baby. Once she gets some milk and some snuggles she'll be right as rain. :wink:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I wish there was another way, however i do like doing it at a few days old and burning them rathern then the vet coming out, knocking the goat out and all that.
    beth

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, stories like that make so SO happy that I do not and CAN NOT dis bud my animals.

I would try Anrica Montana. It is a pain killer and all natural. It is wonderful. i use it myself.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Want me to tell you what I do to help prevent those movements? Put a glove on my left hand and I put my thumb through their mouth. One it gives them something to bite down on if it hurts, and that too helps me let up and give them a break and two I can control their heads. I have never nicked a kid with the iron. Only really big extra strong kids can move me and then they still can't move it when I'm burning.

Only kids who move a lot are kids I have to reburn who are older and almost too big for the box. I had to do one the other day and she didn't even move any.

With my thumb through their mouths I feel like I'm able to stabilize their heads better though. My fingers wrap underneath their jaw.