The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
I have no use for fireworks. Not going and see the city ran display or certainly not the ones the sell for personal use. They not only scare animals but often start fires. A few years ago a local Dr was blown up and killed when a display cart exposed. It was horrible.

Nope not a fan at all.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like them with the right conditions. I like them on 4th of July and New Year's eve. Even then, we have to be somewhere else so my animals aren't being scared $#!+less. The one we do bring (just our dog Whiskey), he needs to be sedated, with a friend (human or dog), and have a treat. If all those conditions aren't met, I do kinda hate them. Our neighbors (the biggest meth heads ever) found some and set them off a couple weeks ago. Whiskey was scared at first and then thought it was gunshots. He's a bird dog so he got super excited. Maybe now he doesn't need the sedatives? I dunno

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,206 Posts
I agree. Keep them in town! The fires they cause out here in the country are not worth it! We have Gov. Parks that allow people to shoot fireworks on the 4th. But still people do in their yards, and my animals go NuTs. I basically pen them up and walk around talking to them. I hate the stress they cause on my stock.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Well other than the immediate concern of some one burning down the barn or house I have a very serious reason why I hate fireworks.

If anyone cares to Google for the June 5, 1997 fireworks explosion that happened at Pyro Shows in East Tennessee you may get a better picture of my feelings. My sweet caring uncle was killed in the explosion. Funny thing how things in life happen. He drove a truck but normally was never there that time of day but something changed in his schedule or it was just Gods plan coming to make a statement for his life. First responders, I had the pleasure to meet one of the first men on the scene years later by chance and we happened to share a ah ha moment together, said he was found running towards the building. Apparently he was driving through the area and noticed something was wrong and ran towards the danger instead of away. (This is how a lot of my family is including me to my husband's dislike). The responder I met as we mentioned how we didn't care for the 4th at a medical office small talk while working and he told me he was one of the first on the scene at the Pyro Shows grounds and I mentioned my uncle died there. He went silent and started to cry. I then asked if it was true what they told us about him running towards the building. After he finished sharing some tears with me he confirmed the fact it appeared he was trying to either stop it or warn anyone inside to evacuate but unfortunately they were blown up before he could do anything else other than running towards his death.

He was one of the most amazing men I knew and a great role model. He was a city councilman and a God loving / fearing human being. Him and my other uncle's always helped dig the graves at the old church grave yard (by hand!) and clear the mountain roads in bad weather (or as we all called it clear the shuck beans snow when grandma seiber cooked them it always snowed)

I mean I understand people liking fireworks but it just brings up bad memories and fears of losing more loved ones and animals. Where we live it's supposed to be illegal but they still do it and have gotten by with it every year. I hate the hours of cleaning up the fields of firework debris and if they try to do it in my front yard again next year I will be calling the law on them.

I know God had his reasons (sorry if religious talk is not liked here), but the world lost a great man that day that even strangers to the family cry over losing to this very day. I wished only cities would set off fireworks and have those approves areas and not next to other people's houses. Or at least check with your neighbors to see if they mind setting them off. When we rented an 80 acre farm the people next door always asked if we were ok with it and would set a few off in day light to be sure all the animals were fine with it. They were ex service members and knew what they were doing so it didn't bother me as much and they showed great respect but these days people across from my house and riding arena just step out on porch and light one up and toss it in their yard randomly. Bit to mention this last year they set up in the main back road (it's like 1.5 lane road with no lines on it) shooting them over my arena. I kept telling myself it's one night and done with but it never stops.

Ok off my dramatic soap box for now.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I’m sorry @DDFN, no wonder you don’t like them. It sounds like your uncle was a really amazing man.

I’m not a big fan of fireworks and glad that I no longer live in a neighborhood. When I did, they would do fireworks for everything. Graduation, birthdays, even Easter. I got so sick of fireworks living there.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I’m sorry @DDFN, no wonder you don’t like them. It sounds like your uncle was a really amazing man.

I’m not a big fan of fireworks and glad that I no longer live in a neighborhood. When I did, they would do fireworks for everything. Graduation, birthdays, even Easter. I got so sick of fireworks living there.
Thanks he was a great man!
Well we live on a road with horse and cattle farms but the previous swamp marsh land (they filled it in) across the road got turned into a trailer park some years ago when I was a kid and if it wasn't for the trailer park group we wouldn't have the firework issue. It's a bunch of people that moved to the country for cheaper housing and carried their city thinking with them unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I know they're loud and they can be dangerous, and DDFN I'm so sorry about your uncle...

But I gotta admit... I LOVE fireworks! They're mesmerizingly beautiful and I love the sudden loud bangs that echo all the way around the valley. Some of my favorite "home" displays were in Lake City at New Years when we would set them off on frozen Lake San Cristobal. I like to set them off in our driveway on 4th of July as long as the fire danger and weather conditions permit. The goats, horses, and dogs aren't used to such noise, but I like them to be ok with it (and with gunfire). I've never lived in a city, so it can't just be city folks who love to set off fireworks. ;)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Some of my dogs in the past were scared of fireworks, but those dogs were even more scared of thunderstorms, and I have no control at all over those!
I have neighbors who target practice all the time. I think they must have a cannon over there, too...it makes an earth shattering BOOM! So my critters are used to loud sounds and fireworks don't bother them.
I figure, if I don't want my neighbors hollering about what I do on my property, I shouldn't holler about what they do on theirs.
The fires started and lives lost to fireworks are truly tragic, though. Like anything else, they should be used responsibly. But I won't complain about what my neighbors do as long as it isn't causing actual injury to anything on my property.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've never lived in a city, so it can't just be city folks who love to set off fireworks. ;)
No, it’s just a numbers and proximity problem. More people around, more people shooting them off all the time (for seemingly no particular reason), more people careless with them, and more people irritated by them. I used to enjoy fireworks but after living in a place with an obsession (my opinion) with them, I am sick of them. Nothing like booms and bright colors filling your bedroom at 2 a.m. when you have to get up at 5 to make you dislike them.

Where I live now, no one is real close and I heard a few fireworks around the 4th (to be expected and an appropriate time to set them off), they ended at a good time of night and didn’t irritate me at all.

Some of my dogs in the past were scared of fireworks, but those dogs were even more scared of thunderstorms, and I have no control at all over those!
I have neighbors who target practice all the time. I think they must have a cannon over there, too...it makes an earth shattering BOOM! So my critters are used to loud sounds and fireworks don't bother them.
I figure, if I don't want my neighbors hollering about what I do on my property, I shouldn't holler about what they do on theirs.
The fires started and lives lost to fireworks are truly tragic, though. Like anything else, they should be used responsibly. But I won't complain about what my neighbors do as long as it isn't causing actual injury to anything on my property.
We target shoot two or three times a year and nobody cares. Our neighbors on three sides shoot way more than us (at least weekly) and no one (including us) minds. Plus, across the road from us is a huge chunk of hunting club land. So lots of gun fire at times. But it’s not into all hours of the night, or I would be complaining. But out here, if we here a shot or two pop off at night, we’re just wondering which farmer got what predator on their property. It’s so funny you mention the cannon. We joke one of our neighbors must have one too. One of these days we want to see the rifle making that noise because it is impressive. Our animals don’t seems bothered by shooting or storms as of yet, so we lucked out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts