The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf Goats
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..actually I am. :eek: I have 3 ND bucklings that need to become 3 ND whethers. 1 is 5 months and the other 2 are 3 1/2 months. I am going to do it tonight after work but I am looking for what to be careful of and what to look for afterwards. This is my plan:
Have the children hold the buckling "standing" to expose the testicles. Use the bander over the testicles as close to the body as I can get it, taking care to avoid the teats.
Is there anything else I need to do? Any aftercare? Any precautions I should take or is it really that easy? I'm very nervous.
Our original whether was banded and it was very anticlimatic..however he ended up with a retained testicle and had to be surgically altered.. How do I check for that or is there something I should be watching for? Thanks for any advice you can give me., I tend to overthink and worry I just don't want to do it incorrectly.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Make sure they can still pee afterwards. I have heard that sometimes you can get the urethra in the band, never had it happen myself, but the possibility is there. Just watch them for an hour or so after and make sure you see them pee.

Also, when I band, I don't pull the testicles down into the band, I put the band over the testicles, that way I'm not pulling anything down into the band that shouldn't be there. I also don't get it super close to the body, just right above the top of the testicles. You might want to have some banamine on hand, it can be good to give them a shot about an hour before you start so it doesn't hurt as much until it goes numb. I have had some wethers who didn't care and others who layed around and bellered for a while afterwards.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The younger 2 are about 3 1/2 months old. Are they old enough to band now? I had been told to wait and make sure I didn't band them too early or their urethra wouldn't be developed yet. Is that correct?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I banded 2 of them. 1 of them seems to be too big for the bander. I wasn't sure if I would hurt him by squishing everything through..He is a ND..but I gues some parts aren't lol

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
When I banded my Pygmy/Nigerian we really had to squeeze those things through the band! Lol!
It's gunna hurt afterwards anyways so getting his jewls through the band will be the least of his concern! :p

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That's a good idea Jill. May have some larger goats to wether next year so I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got them through. The largest one is oblivious and doesn't care. The smallest, however, keeps laying flat out like this :

ForumRunner_20131016_192440.png

I am guessing they need some banamine. Or could it be somethng else? How much should I give them. (My neighbor has some) they are each about 25 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Eh, he's fine. Mine did that too. They're just drama kings :p But if I was banded, I may act the same, too. Lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He looks like he's going to fall asleep but his haunches are shaking. He doesn't want any snacks but he does react to us and gets up ok. Does it just sound like pain? They also got their CD &T tonight.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yeah, my guys were lethargic for a few days. If he seems real bad you could try some banamine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We just came back from our neighbor's house and the 2 younger ones got a banamine shot. They seem much better. Thank you guys for helping a scared newbie! I do love these little guys. Oh. And I live in an awesome nighvorhood. We brought the goats to their house..into their kitchen and stayed for a drink after they got their shots...with the goats wandering around the house with their dogs ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts