I have a date! *big grin*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WarPony, Feb 25, 2010.

1. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    So, my feed guy, Outback Jack, gave me the name and number of a lady right down the road and around the corner who has goats. i was pricing feed and stuff and he asked what kind of goat i had and i said, "Invisible one. I am just starting to learn about them and wanted to get an idea of feed prices and stuff." This was actually a few weeks ago, just before i signed up here. he asked if i was just looking for more pets (he knows I own "useless" horses and "good for nothing" dogs, lol) and I said no, I'm looking for livestock for meat, milk and landscaping but most of the local folks I was finding were pet owners and aren't real comfortable with the idea of goats as meat animals and he said, "I know just the lady you need to talk to and she just lives a couple miles from your place!" (He knows where i live because I am walking distance from his house, lol, gotta love small country communities, heh)

Well, right after that my home went insane because my teenage daughter ran away from her dad's house on her weekend with him and walked two miles home to my house in the middle of the night... though from things I learned afterward i kinda don't blame the kid for taking off and heading back over here (she still got grounded, though)! At any rate, sorta important family business was going on there and it just all pushed making this phone call off a week or two.

So things finally calmed down and i put in the call and talked for about 10 minutes. We have similar ideas and needs (small family of 3 who just need a little milk and some meat) and she invited me over this evening to see the goats she has and talk about them and how well they work her family, etc. She sounds really nice and she said she just had a pair of babies born two days ago. i squealed into the phone.

hehehe.

My husband was all excited about going with me but then he ended up having an appointment to do some computer work at the same time i am going over there. I was kind of surprised by how bummed out he sounded. I guess i didn't realize how much he liked the idea of having goats!

She said when she started with goats she had a few dairy and a few meat, but she was getting way more milk than they needed. So she aimed more for a multipurpose goat which is what i want. Not sure what kind/mix she has but i guess I will find out later today. She said they were all out roaming her yard today enjoying the sun.

I'm so excited, lol.

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Yippee!!!! Let us know!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright .... :wahoo: ...that is super duper news.... sounds like... it is just what the doctor ordered... :wink: :greengrin:

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    :clap:

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To bad you aren't closer - I LOVE goat meat!!!! But, yes, everyone locally seems to look at he like I am NUTS when I say that

8. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    OK, what I learned from my visit with Anita... the minute I have live goats in front of me all of my breed preferences go out the window and i just like them all. She has quite a few goats of assorted breeds, her daughter shows them in 4H. The 2 day old babies were 75% Boer 25% Toggenburg. I really know nothing about udders yet, but i could see that the does teats were very nice (as in they looked like they would be easy to milk, not big sausage teats or anything). The babies really REALLY showed the Boer, and i was tempted to stick one in my pocket. Cute little redheads with adorable floppy ears and the sweetest little voices.

She has 4 or 5 yearling does she will be looking to sell. They are all 50% Boer crossed with dairy breeds, one is Saanen/Boer, two are Oberhasli/Boer (I REALLY like these two), and i don't remember what the others were, they were still in the barn so i didn't get to meet them. I saw the Oberhasli that was the mother to the two Ober/Boer crosses and she is GORGEOUS (at least to a complete newbie who knows nothing about goats yet). I know 4H may not mean much compared to breed shows but they have all kinds of ribbons and stuff for her from 4H the last few years.

She lost two of her bucks last year to old age (her Boer and her Oberhasli) and has a Kiko she just got. She said if i don't want to have my own buck she and three other local people have bucks they would let me use. So I may amend my plans and instead of getting 3 does and a buck just skip the buck and get 4 does. i REALLY fell in love with one of the Boer/Oberhasli does. She followed me everywhere and when i stopped to pet her she rested her head in my hand and sighed and closed her eyes. She had sold them as babies but got them back recently (because of this economy the people who bought them couldn't keep them, had to move or something).

So... so much for my original idea of looking at minis. She did have a Pygmy but those Boer/Oberhasli crosses just REALLY took my fancy.

She had a pitiful looking Mini Mancha wether with elf ears. She took him in a while ago because no one wanted him and she said he just lives there because he has no where else to go. I had to remind myself i am looking for animals that can earn their keep, not more rescue animals! I just wanted to scoop him up and tell the poor homely little guy that he was beautiful. I'm such a sucker.

At any rate, I am seriously considering buying the two Boer/Oberhasli crosses as soon as i get my tax refund, and will look at the others she has for sale at that point.

I also have recommendations for a local vet who knows goats and is willing to work with people who are capable of doing much of their own vet work (HIGH priority for me). Judging from the amount of milk and meat she says she gets from her dairy/meat crosses when breeding them to her meat buck it really sounds like that would work for what i want quite nicely. She also offered to coach me through milking and making soap if i want. And she said if there is another breed i prefer she can help me track them down. But i really think I like those Boer crosses.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, it really sounds like you got yourself hooked up with a starter herd!

Glad that you have options close to home too...goat people really need to stick together.

10. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan

Yeah, i was soooo glad to find out she was so close. Now i just have to get my tax refund and get my pen put up. She said none of the ones she is going to be selling are fence jumpers. That was very helpful info. lol. AND... for what she is asking I will come in under budget. Which is always nice!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Usually a 4 foot high fence works...unless they are jumpers of course! Be mindful though that with larger goats comes the need for stronger fencing because even non jumpers can bend a fence, either by rubbing or standing on it. Under budget is always a good thing.....but guess what? With the $ you'll save buying goats you'll be wanting to spend it on all those goodies that goaties just love!

12. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I have electric for the horses and i am going to run a "preventative" line around the inside of the fence to keep them back off of it. i was also considering getting some electric net/mesh (it's been a long day, i forget what it is called... heh) fence for portable pens. Those would work for grazing out my ponies, too.

And yeah, this will allow me to buy a few things right away that I thought i would have to just gradually get over time.

13. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Sounds AWESOME! Looks like you're just about set! I can hardly wait to see pictures

:leap:

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: on the electric....seeing as you already have it, it would really reduce the cost and time to repair fencing, I learned the hard way!

15. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    This is the stuff I use: http://www.mulehollow.com/fafeelgonet.html

You'll need good voltage through it, but it works to keep the goats off the back porch and predators away from the chickens.

Really, there's no substitute for good tight field fence. If you have that electrified white fabric tape a lot of people use for horses, it won't phase the goats. Their fur is too thick, doesn't make a good enough connection.

16. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That fence you linked to is what I had in mind for portable fence. You use it for your chickens too? How does it work?

I won't be using the same fence as for the horses, just using a line of wire around the inside of the goat pen to keep them from leaning on it. Probably aluminum wire. I do use tape for the horses but only because I have one with bad eyesight and she can't keep track of the wire fence. Even then I have to keep rows of plain wire because my big guy is super super hairy and he can lay on the tape and not feel a thing.

My fencer box is old but it is a 15 mile box powering a 3/4 acre fenced area. if it doesn't work terribly well (because of the age) I will be able to get a new one with more kick.

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    LOL I have a feeling you are going to end up with 4 pet goats and no goat meat. That's okay. I don't know that I could do it either. :D

18. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    LOL! It could happen... but I've been a farm girl for a long time and i have had to "harvest" my own animals in the past. It is never a fun time and is always kind of sad but knowing my family has food for the winter sure helps (I also have a friend who is willing to help if i hesitate to do it myself).... but there is a back up plan to make sure they earn their keep if i chicken out. Just in case. 'Cause the other animals I've had to process have been cute, but not nearly as cute as a baby goat... so... I'm thinking ahead just in case.

I'm 97% sure I won't have too much trouble with it but I'm trying to be realistic about it. I'm more concerned about my daughter trying to make all of them pets. I might be able to get over being attached to the goats but if she starts getting upset on top of that I might cave. At least until she moves away, lol.

If it really does turn out to be an issue I'll cut down to my favorite two goats and just keep them for milk and landscaping. make some soap, maybe some cheese, and just enjoy their company. If it doesn't turn out to be an issue I'll be making lots of roasts and jerky. Either way I come out a winner with something to eat, more land cleared for the horses, and cute goats to make me smile.

:greengrin:

19. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    ARG!!!! waiting for my tax refund to get here now that i have already found some goats I like is making me crazy!!!

I haven't even had my first real "fix" and i am already addicted!

I blame you guys, you are a bad influence on me, lol!!!

20. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Me too!!