I have a goat going bald...what is it?????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Apr 29, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so I went down to check all my girls and noticed lola who is due in 2 1/2 weeks, had a big ol bald spot on her side....so I grabbed her and put her in the milk stand and noticed that I can literally pull chuncks of hair out. No sores or anything, just nice pink skin underneath. what in the world is it?? It is not ring worm. I was thinking tho, I know when I had horses they would get what was called rain rot, pretty much a fingul thing. This looks just like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WELL, I have been going through this for years. It looks JUST like my does. All my does that have kidded have done this.

OK after having two different places do a study on it this is what they have come up with.

First thing they all thought was Cooper def. Nope they ruled that out because I feed Sweetlix meat makers, that is a wonderful mineral they all said. Then they said lice. NOPE, they did scrapings on that and they never saw a thing, neither have I. So the Vet school CSU in Ft Collins said it is called "Wool Loss". They call it that because it is only really been studied in sheep. The cause STRESS. I have told then that only two of mine had a problem kidding, they said it doesn't matter, what you think is stress is not what they call stress. It could just be stress for the kids nursing or something very simple.
    Now I have one doe that is really bad and is REALLY dry all over and the vet just sent in some biopsy's to have them tested to see if it is a Zinc def. He said that they will lose the hair like that if it is a zinc def. They drew blood also to have a double check on the Zinc. So for now I am waiting to get the results back from CSU.

Now to let you know IF she is like mine, they lost ALL the hair. The only place they had it was on their heads, and about the shoulders down. BUT boy do they look GREAT when it grows back. I have been going this way for three years now,

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Wow ok, a Zinc deficiancy huh. Or stress.... I dont know what she has to be stressed about, she dosent get beat up, they are all fat dumb and happy, she is due to kid in about 2 weeks......mmmmm. How do you replace zinc?? I will have to look that one up. Thank you sooo much for your help!!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well they said just the fact of being pregnant and getting close is enough stress to cause it.

The Vet did tell me what to give them for the Zinc, but I can not remember what it is. He said it is really the only way for them to absorb it. It sounded like it will have to have a script to get it. He said after the tests come back he will let me know what to do.
    I could not figure what stress would cause my does to do this. I did have one that lost a baby and he said that would do it for sure.

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    well I have a freind at the health food store that has zinc tablets. I figured I could grind those up and give them as a drench. They say to give them between 100mmg to 1000 mmgs and she should be fine. I am probably going to go out there and shave her and just give her a bath. anything i can do>?