i have a mean goat momma

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by troya, Feb 18, 2011.

1. troya

troya New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    i have a goat that just had 3 babies, they are 3 days old. She is just mean to them.. she will let them nurse now without a big fight from me, but it is like while they are eating she just gets enraged. She will let 2 eat for a bit then will start ramming them, kicking them, slamming them into the walls. she had one pinned up inbetween her horns and the wall.. Why is she like this? This is her 2nd batch/litter. She was mean with the first and actually killed one baby, threw him in the water bucket.. i dont know if he was dead already and she flung him there or what happened but in the morning he was in there and froze. She got very lovey with the baby left (she is now a year old) she wouldnt even go in the barn to have her new babies without the one year old. So i thought she would be a good momma this time.
    you can even tell the order of the babies born, the first one was all cleaned and fluffy, 2nd one was mostly cleaned, then the 3rd she just quit on the job..
    has anyone dealt with this? :whatgoat:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like... the 1st time around... she wasn't taught how to be a momma...and didn't understand....it may be a hard pattern to break now....

Also... her udder may be sore and when the kids try to nurse... it may be hurting her....so... she lashes out in anger....milk her some ...so she isn't as tight and sore....then ...put the kids on her.... Do this each time... you want to feed them.... after she discovers that... they aren't hurting her anymore....she may stop bashing them..... or.. it may be to late to correct her..... you may want to start bottle feeding them momma's milk as well...in case... she doesn't learn.....if you wait to long they won't take the bottle..... you may have to separate the kids from momma and go out and make sure they get the teat every couple of hours....
    Tie her head up snug to a post or? tie up one back leg..the one you are working from ...milk her out some ...to make her comfortable...and let the kids suckle....
    Eventually... if she doesn't kick them.... or behaves then you don't have to tie up her leg...... I really hope it works....but I can't say for sure it will or not...

If she allows her kids to suckle from her ..without tying her head ...then....watch to see if she slams at them....if she doesn't ...things are looking up....if she bashes ....you should bottle feed ....

Also... make sure ...she doesn't have any sores on her udder..

how is her milk? does it look OK ...no blood...clumps...stringy look to it...?..is her udder hot ...do you feel lumps..hardness.?

I Hope.. the kids got their colostrum.. the first day... :hug:

3. troya

troya New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    They did get the colostrum. Me and my boys would pin her in the barn and let them nurse. I did milk her a few times and tried to bottle feed, only one would take the bottle though. She is progressing, she doesn't fight me to let them start nursing now. But after 5 mins or so she gets fidgety and just has enough. Then gets all irrate. I don't see any sores. She did it with the first litter a year ago too.

4. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    I had a doe like this. She was a bad mother, mean to her kids. I ended up bottle raising the kids and she went to market. I wont put up with it.

5. troya

troya New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    They are all just pets, I have had her since she was a baby too, she will be 4 next saturday. I have wethered all my males. So no more babies anyways.

Thank you all for your help. I will continue to go out and watch her feed till the babies are big enough and agressive enough to eat on their own.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Troya it sounds like mama is doing a whole lot better. :thumb: 5 minutes is a long time I'd get fidgety too, remember that kids only eat for maybe a minute or so or less, frequent short meals.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck....I agree.. 5 minutes is really good.... :thumb: :greengrin: :hug:

8. troya

troya New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    when i go out now they have plump little bellies! so she must be feeding them the short meals. But they are stuck on my schedule and bombard her when i show up.. she will deal for a few minutes. I worry about the smallest, he just isnt as aggressive. but his little belly isnt sunken in either so he must be getting some too. yay!! thank you all!! <3

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...sounds like... she is being a momma now...congrats.... :hug:

10. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    my dad says this happens alot with cats and alot of animals actually. birth is painful so they associate their babies with that pain. so they don't care for them. we had a goat who didnt give much milk and always rejected her kids. dad said he always prayed that she kidded last so he could immediatly take the kids and try to get another doe to adopt them.