I have a question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This is my husbands name and I just wanted to ask a question because we don't understand why this is happening. We have 4 does and a buck together and 3 of the does and the buck are always around eachother but one of the does has been staying away from them.We are trying to breed them to the buck but don't understand why one doe doesn't stay with the other four. Does anyone have any clue?

Crystal

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Has she been bred before? Is it possible she is already bred? And when did you put them together?

I have some goats that just don't get a long with the others and they'll kind of hang out by themselves. But if she's always been around the other goats then I can't think of anything unless she is already bred or due soon.

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    They have been all together with the buck since June 1st but our buck was trying to breed them but he is kind of young so I was not sure if he would have breed them in June or this month but it may be she is breed. I hope so.Thanks for the reply.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They might be slamming her away from the buck... keeping him to themselves...I have a dominant doe ....that does that and I have to take her out of the area ...so the others can be bred... :doh:

Also... is she eating and acting normal...? I would take her temp just in case....she may be sick....

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    If she is not in season, whether because already bred or because she just hasn't cycled, she is more likely to hang back. The buck will sometimes chase off does that are not in season but will accept them readily once they smell right to him. The buck is particularly likely to do this if he is courting one or more other does that are ready to be bred.